Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Where do you keep old kids magazines

Rivky

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:52 am
My kids like to save the magazines every week and reread them all the time. By now we've accumulated quite a lot of magazines. Any ideas how to keep them organized and in order?We have them on a bookshelf now but have outgrown it! Another shelf? Containers I don't think will work.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:13 am
I give my magazines to neighbors and friends. Maybe find someone you can give them to.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:15 am
Do you have them hole punched in binders?

srbmom

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:17 am
What about these?
https://www.amazon.com/Magazin.....99981
I have this set and they've held up very well

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 12:48 pm
I’m with the OP who suggests purging. Yashan mipnei chadash totziu. Even museums and libraries have to cull their collections from time to time because NO ONE has unlimited storage. While I applaud your family’s reuse of magazines, the solution to a collection grown too big for its britches is not to devote more space to it or try to cram more mass into the same space, but to cut the collection back down to size.

Surely you can find a friend, neighbor, school, play group, hospital, dentist or doctor’s office or even a nursing home that will gladly take your excess off your hands. And if not...there’s a reason why there’s municipal recycling.

Purging is a painful but essential part of life if you are not to end up as an episode of Hoarders. Good for your dc to get used to the process now. It gets easier the more you do it.

etky

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:45 pm
zaq wrote:
I’m with the OP who suggests purging. Yashan mipnei chadash totziu. Even museums and libraries have to cull their collections from time to time because NO ONE has unlimited storage. While I applaud your family’s reuse of magazines, the solution to a collection grown too big for its britches is not to devote more space to it or try to cram more mass into the same space, but to cut the collection back down to size.

Surely you can find a friend, neighbor, school, play group, hospital, dentist or doctor’s office or even a nursing home that will gladly take your excess off your hands. And if not...there’s a reason why there’s municipal recycling.

Purging is a painful but essential part of life if you are not to end up as an episode of Hoarders. Good for your dc to get used to the process now. It gets easier the more you do it.

This.
We had a humungous collection of back issues of kids magazines like Spider, Cricket, National Geographic etc.
I kept them in bins in the kids' rooms, knowing that any sort of filing system would be an exercise in futility.
At some point it was just too much. The older kids had read and reread them many times and my youngest wasn't really interested.
No one we knew wanted them so, painful as it was, they all went into the recycling bins.
Beforehand I asked the kids if there were a few issues they wanted to keep. I think one kid kept some of his favorites.
Recently I also purged my own magazine collection. I had many, many back issues of Cooks Illustrated and a certain British home decor magazine - both of which are expensive subscriptions, especially in Israel. Luckily I managed to find homes for them all. It would have felt criminal to toss them but I would have if I had no other option.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:29 am
Keep the best in cardboard boxes

chipmunks

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:33 am
One binder or storage container per kid, depending on what you have room for and think is fair. They have to either stop adding or start giving some up when it's full.

Esheschayil18

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:58 pm
Get rid of it. Unless you have unlimited storage space at home.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:51 pm
I have these standing book holders - one for each magazine. Once it’s full we trash some. I can’t have shelves of magazines. That is my limit.

Nadja

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:28 am
As a public school teacher....we appreciate donations! ( wink wink) Even well read magazines! Just a suggestion! (However cut out or black out your address before donating!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics