Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toy that engages 18 month old
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son just doesn’t stay interested in his toys for more than a few seconds. He likes throwing things but not making them. What can I get that he’ll actually enjoy? We’re both so bored and I’m having a really hard time entertaining him.

My kids have gotten so much use out of this!
https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w.....D_BwE
It's a drum with a collection of musical instruments inside the base, including drum sticks.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:04 pm
Btw check out Melissa and Doug toys. The best.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve been following different things you wrote about you dd because my son is close in age and so I relate but your daughter is definitely very advanced for her age. I can’t imagine my son playing on his own with building toys.

She can only stack magnatiles . She couldn’t figure out Duplo yet. But she tries sometimes and has luck with it. But really her favorite activity is emptying out kitchen cabinets, my bencher drawer, seforim from the seforim shrank and what not.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

gande

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:29 pm
Pegs with pegboard are good for this age and takes some time. Also great for fine motor skills.
Another idea is animal/farm figures. They like to put them it different parts of the house and relate to them by making the sounds.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:33 pm
I have Melissa and Doug toys and other educational toys as well..
He doesn't have interest.
He has the pegboard as well.
That interested him for 10 seconds lol

sweet

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:50 pm
I dont think this was mentioned yet but, My kids at this age all loved traintracks and mega blocks.
Theyre very easy to build with.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:45 pm
We have tons of toys, but like others said, my 18 month old is more interested in playing with household stuff--putting things in a cup and taking them out, putting hands under the faucet to wash, playing with laundry baskets full of clean clothes, "sweeping" with a dustpan and brush, handing me spoons from the dishwasher, any kind of small container with a lid that can be opened and closed, shaking boxes of pasta, etc. Most toys aren't interesting for more than a few minutes.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
We have tons of toys, but like others said, my 18 month old is more interested in playing with household stuff--putting things in a cup and taking them out, putting hands under the faucet to wash, playing with laundry baskets full of clean clothes, "sweeping" with a dustpan and brush, handing me spoons from the dishwasher, any kind of small container with a lid that can be opened and closed, shaking boxes of pasta, etc. Most toys aren't interesting for more than a few minutes.

This. Get him involved in practical life stuff. Bake with you (even if it makes a mess), give him a little broom and spray bottle.

While he's playing you can encourage concentration by not interrupting him when he's focused. Don't say anything, don't comment, don't talk. "oh great job you're building so nicely" just be quiet and let him focus.

myname1

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 3:51 am
My dd is 20 months. She lines up the magnatiles on the floor, kind of like a road, instead of doing towers. Any towers I do get knocked down before they're very tall. She also likes watching dreidels spin (and catching them before too long). Her favorite book is an animal one with lots of flaps to lift. And Megablocks, which are bigger and with more flexible plastic, so much easier to stack, than Duplo. She also likes shape sorters, but at 18 months would just dump them out and put them in without the shape cover. If I sit with her and show her where to put each piece, she sometimes likes that now (and maybe a bit then, but less). And the things with buttons that make something pop up are nice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics