Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How can I find out how much I owe the IRS?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:09 pm
I thought my accountant did Auto Pay. I don't handle my own finances - my secretary does. Meanwhile, I got a letter from IRS that I owe a lot of money in taxes from this year. I want to mail them a check or set up an auto draft payment. Anyone know how to do that? Don't want to call my accountant because he is a relative and clearly messed up here.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:12 pm
Call your accountant and find out if he messed up or the IRS did. He must have had a calculation the way he filed your taxes. He may have messed up and need to refile, but not necessarily is the number the IRS gave you accurate.

chatz

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:13 pm
You can pay online at irs.gov. I believe you can also open an account on their website.

Make sure it's .gov so you know you're in the right site.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:20 pm
Your accountant can pull a transcript for you for the tax year in question.

Girl@Heart

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:32 pm
You call the IRS 800-829-1040 and request an ‘Account Transcript’ sent to you. It will show what your reported tax is, any penalties and interest that have been levied on the account, all payment applied and your balance due.

You can set up a payment plan online with the IRS as long as your balance due is under a certain amount, I think 20k. Check out this link for details https://www.irs.gov/payments/p.....ments

Alternatively you can call the number on your bill that you received from them and speak to an agent and ask then to explain what generated the bill, how much you currently owe and set up a payment plan, if it’s applicable.

Just because you received a bill does not necessarily mean your accountant messed up...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:21 pm
Thanks, ladies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics