Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
WIC shidduch :)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:27 pm
bsy wrote:
I work at BYBP and the amount of leftover food is astonishing. Its enough to feed a whole school of kids. None of it is thrown out. They pack it up and distribute it.

Out of curiosity, why are schools with tight budgets, and with families that struggle to pay tuition, using their tuition monies to purchase food to suh an excess level? Wouldn't they be better off reducing their food purchases and saving money?

real israeli

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:29 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are schools with tight budgets, and with families that struggle to pay tuition, using their tuition monies to purchase food to suh an excess level? Wouldn't they be better off reducing their food purchases and saving money?

Because the lunch is government funded has nothing to do with tuition. It either gets used for food or taken back.

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:36 pm
The reason wic employees say to use the coupons, buy the milk etc and give or throw away is because they get money according to how much they give out. If you return unused coupons, that money can be deducted from their future budget. So to keep their money coming in, they want you to use the coupons-even if you don't use all the items on them.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:48 pm
WIC told me when I asked them outright was if it is ethical/legal, that I should absolutely redeem it and share the surplus. She explained that WIC is a nutrition program, and their goal is to spread nutritious food around. Aderaba, more people will eat healthy.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:51 pm
I would go by the written paperwork they put out before the verbal assurance as the official, legal policy.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:43 am
bsy wrote:
I work at BYBP and the amount of leftover food is astonishing. Its enough to feed a whole school of kids. None of it is thrown out. They pack it up and distribute it.
My husband works in a school and was told it is outright illegal to remove any excess food from the school premises. They also donate leftovers, but the school doesnt donate directly. A very nice woman comes at the end of the day to pick it up and independently distributes it. Otherwise, the school can get into big trouble if caught.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:50 am
Wic was also created to help the farmers, which is why there is so much dairy products included. Kind of a win win. Help the farmers with their surplus, provide nutrition to those that need.

cnc

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 5:55 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
My husband works in a school and was told it is outright illegal to remove any excess food from the school premises. They also donate leftovers, but the school doesnt donate directly. A very nice woman comes at the end of the day to pick it up and independently distributes it. Otherwise, the school can get into big trouble if caught.

How is this any different?

champion

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:14 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
You and I read different lists, clearly. I regularly see people who live in nice homes and drive expensive cars saying things like, "if you have a gently used Doona that you don't need anymore, I'd be glad to take it off your hands. Pink only. Gently used, not well loved." "No, I don't want to pay for it. I figured that if you're not using it, I'd do you a favor to take it."

How can you compare a Doona to some milk and groceries?
I still hold my opinion that people will not ask (find creative ways to obtain...) basic groceries if they don't NEEED it.
But yes, we probably run in different circles.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:53 pm
I am so grateful. We had supper tonight that I did not have to cook, shop or budget for. I was able to be a calmer mother after working, taking care of my sick children and taking care of phone calls and details for my father all day. I am feeling so blessed to be part of the imamother community. I had been so hesitant to post, and now have so much more hope regarding how I will balance this all for the future.
Thank you again!!!

Reality

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:58 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

BYBP also has an organization that comes down to pick up the leftover food. The school has nothing to do with the distribution.

Reality

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am so grateful. We had supper tonight that I did not have to cook, shop or budget for. I was able to be a calmer mother after working, taking care of my sick children and taking care of phone calls and details for my father all day. I am feeling so blessed to be part of the imamother community. I had been so hesitant to post, and now have so much more hope regarding how I will balance this all for the future.
Thank you again!!!

That is wonderful! May you only have continued hatzlacha and bracha!!

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you again!!!

This was the sweetest, most genuine post I've seen all day! You only have to thank Hashem. And you are an amazing mother! You do what needs to be done to feed your family! I'm so glad I happened upon your post. It made my day!!!!

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:14 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:

I would be extremely curious to hear the name of this school. If it's a Jewish school, especially so. I'm friends with many different principals, a school administrator or two, and even have a closer connection that I don't care to discuss. The "legality" of taking food off the school premises is a ridiculous argument. Do you know why the government gives this food? To FEED children who are HUNGRY. They increased these amounts because children were being STARVED. The food coming out of a school is not filet mignon or sea bass. It's food for hungry kids. You find me a court that will prosecute a hungry mother for taking leftovers. Give me the name of the school. I will try to tell you the REAL illegal stuff they're doing.

I'm not trying to be harsh. I hate being arbitrary. But there's something called a chosid shoiter. If you need food, from school, take it. I pay all my taxes. So do all my friends. For every child in every public school to eat. And my kids didn't go to public schools. Yet I pay. Call it reparations and take the food! And stop shaming people who need it please by saying it's illegal. Be happy you don't need it.

Please. This thread is killing me. This poster is an awesome mother! And if you have leftover wic, grab this Mitzvah. Hashem is the ultimate judge and jury and you have to answer to HIM. And what better argument is there than, "I used my extra wic money to help a mother feed her children"? I'll envy your Gan Eden.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 8:53 pm
This thread literally made me cry

OP you are awesome
This woman came on here with an idea to help feed her family and it basically got slammed.

I wud feel pretty awful if I were her.

But she defended her position, (did u catch the throwing tomatoes line- that was awesome ๐Ÿ˜‰) apologized by saying she didn't know the legal ramifications involved and asked if anyone had any other ideas to help. She took a suggestion and made it work, and came back here to say thank you.

OP whoever you are ur family is lucky to have you. Hashem shud bentch u and give u koach.
I wish I had ur resourcefulness, strength, courage and humility ๐Ÿ‘

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:07 pm
mitzvah kids on Facebook delivers food
To youโ€™re homeb

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:09 pm
Bnai Raphael in Brooklyn gives food
718 951 6059
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries