Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
12 month old Twins + Walking

bumpkin2

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:38 pm
I'm having trouble encouraging my twins to start walking more. We have gotten walkers, bouncers, we try walking with while holding them... They are open to using these but would rather "cruise" along the couch or other furniture in the house. Does anyone have a go-t0 method that worked for you in building their confidence in walking hands-free? Or am I being unrealistic given their adjusted age?

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:46 pm
You’re being unrealistic period. Lots of 12 month olds don’t walk at all. Mine didn’t till 16 months and that was still in the range of normal. Let them develop on their own schedule not yours

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:47 pm
why not just let them do it when they're ready for it? My toddler started walking at 15 months, he just wasn't ready before. When he seemed steady and was walking a few steps at a time I got him shoes and he started really walking at that point.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:50 pm
Not to mention that when babies walk too early they’re like little walking dummies. IMO the later the better in terms of their ability to assess risk and use intuition

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:58 pm
You can't teach babies to walk. They'll walk when they're ready. All my kids so far started walking at 18 months. I was really not worried and not desperate for them to walk.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 2:01 pm
Skip the walkers and bouncers.
Best is to just let them cruise and walk at their own pace.
My latest was 18 months and he is an active 13 yr old now. Smile
And it’s true as a pp said the earlier they walk the more trouble and dangerous situations they get into.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 2:19 pm
Huh? Are you for real?? Did you ever read up on the benefits of crawling? It does so much for the baby’s brain development.
Only one of my children was walking at 12 months. The others 16-17 months.
PLEASE let them be babies!

suremom

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 2:20 pm
Walkers and bouncers actually hinder walking. Studies found that children who started walking with walkers, started walking independently 1-2 months later on average than their 'non-walker' peers.

MommyM

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 4:09 pm
Between 12 - 18 months is the normal range... my babies were considered early walkers at 13/14 months. If they're not walking in 6 months, then I would start worrying.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 4:15 pm
Ttly not realistic. Mine all walked between 16 and 20 months . They crawled for like a year though. Don't push them it's bad for them.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 4:16 pm
OP, there’s no rush. What they are doing is perfect their age. Once they walk they start to run into the road and the opposite direction that you want to go and don’t want to hold your hand etc. Enjoy the cruising stage 😀
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics