Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Can I make potato kugel without onions?
Previous  1  2

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 3:39 pm
Hotzenploz, I don't have an exact recipe, I just eyeball it.
Basically, beat 8 eggs. Add about 1 tablespoon salt, a bit onion powder if you like (I don't add), 1/2 cup seltzer. Mix well.
Grate 10 potatoes and mix well with eggs. Heat about 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup oil & pour it on kugel.
1 hour 450 1 hour 350.

sub

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 3:51 pm
Add ( osem) chicken soup mix.

tilot37354

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 4:55 pm
I put in 4-5 eggs per 8-9 potatoes with onions and 6-7 eggs without onions. The eggs make the texture creamier and moister, if you don't have onions to do that. (I don't know the exact amount of salt... I sprinkle in and taste (yes, the raw potato batter 😯) until it tastes about right. Oil I put some in bottom of pan and preheat in oven, and some in mixture. About a quarter cup, I think.)

egam

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 4:57 pm
tilot37354 wrote:
I put in 4-5 eggs per 8-9 potatoes with onions and 6-7 eggs without onions. The eggs make the texture creamier and moister, if you don't have onions to do that. (I don't know the exact amount of salt... I sprinkle in and taste (yes, the raw potato batter 😯) until it tastes about right. Oil I put some in bottom of pan and preheat in oven, and some in mixture. About a quarter cup, I think.)

I also taste it 😉. I add ground pepper as well.

etky

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:41 pm
egam wrote:
I also taste it 😉. I add ground pepper as well.

I always taste the batter of all my kugels before adding the eggs in order to fine-tune the saltiness.
Regarding potato kugel, I also add a good amount of freshly ground black pepper.
And yes, I'm very big on the onions too. They add flavor and moisture to the kugel.
That said, I agree that if you add enough salt and fat you don't necessarily need the onions.

chefmama

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:50 pm
I use this recipe

eta: I'm sure adding an extra egg instead of onions would work - never tried it though.
(Copied from ruths-kitchen.com)
Best Potato Kugel

I've been cooking for 40 years, and I didn't think I'd find a recipe for potato kugel, such a common Ashkenazi Jewish side dish, that I thought was spectacular, but here it is. The recipe is from The Kosher Palette from the Joseph Kushner Hebrew Academy. I've only changed the recipe slightly. It's light and crispy and delicious. There is no filler!
Ingredients

6 large potatoes, washed and peeled
2 large onions, peeled and halved
4 large eggs
5 T. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup potato starch
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup olive oil
Preheat oven to 500 °F. Either grate the potatoes and onion by hand or put the potatoes and onion in the bowl of a food processor and process until coarsely chopped. Add eggs, 5 T. oil, and add the salt and pepper. Process or mix by hand only until smooth; don't overdo it. Sprinkle the potato starch on top, don't stir or pulse! Pour the boiling water over the starch, and stir or pulse thoroughly. Put 1/4 cup oil into a 9x13-inch baking dish, and place in the oven for a minute until quite hot. Carefully pour potato mixture into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes, reduce the heat to 400°F. and bake 40 minutes or until puffed and brown. Serve with brisket, roast chicken, or roast veal. Potato kugel can be eaten at room temperature with cold meats, but it is much tastier if slightly warm or hot. Serves 12 (although my family devours the entire kugel, whether we are 6 or 12.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes