Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
DS age 7 takes so long to get dressed!!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 4:32 am
Any tips??

He shleps away, reading, messing, anything to just delay him getting dressed. Tried all the usual charts etc but he doesn’t quite get it- that the quicker he just gets dressed the quicker it will be over!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 5:48 am
What about to the amusement park or wherever he wants to go? struggle or not

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 6:06 am
Ruchel wrote:
What about to the amusement park or wherever he wants to go? struggle or not

Probably quicker... but school is every day and fun places aren’t very often!

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 7:40 am
Set a timer

polka dots

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 7:47 am
You can Try a dressing station. Buy a mat on the floor and put down all his clothing there. When you get dressed you stay in the dressing station till your dressed. Like this there are no distractions.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 7:49 am
polka dots wrote:
You can Try a dressing station. Buy a mat on the floor and put down all his clothing there. When you get dressed you stay in the dressing station till your dressed. Like this there are no distractions.

I do similar- put the clothing for him in the bathroom. I don't allow books in the bathroom. So he's pretty motivated to get dressed quickly and move on to more interesting things.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 7:53 am
What I meant: is he able? So he can do better. I would set a timer or do discipline.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:11 am
When my kids were younger I created a dress up paper boy with all the things they needed to get dressed with.
I drew a picture of a boy, colored and laminated it. Then a I drew individual clothes that fit onto the paper doll- tzitzis, shirt, pants, socks, shoes etc... Colored and laminated those too.
I put velcro dots on everything and hung up the doll on the wall.
As they put on each thing they coordinated and dressed the paper doll.
(If you're not feeling artsy you can find these things online print it out and laminate- something like this https://www.123rf.com/photo_30......html )

That worked really well to motivate my kids to get dressed on their own and quickly.

I don't know your son and if it would work with him but that definitely helped my kids.
At some point I also tried a chart where they put a sticker for every piece of clothing they put on.
I found both of these methods to break down the task of getting dressed into quick doable tasks with immediate gratification.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:15 am
My son is 6.5 and we had similar issues. We tried rewards, timers, etc. and nothing worked.

I finally came to the realization that, in the moment, all the steps to getting dressed were overwhelming to him! Together we created a list of the 15 steps of the morning routine. The results were outstanding! He consults his list as he goes through the process. He is now often the first one downstairs and there is significantly less nagging on my part. He even attempts to make his bed and washed negel vasser! (Both of these are steps are on our list) After we implemented it, he told me that the list made getting dressed go so much faster! We started this a couple of months ago and still going strong!

You can also try a velcro picture visual schedule where he can move each task from a "to do" column to a "done" column as he completes each step.

And yes, of course, remove all possible distractions from the room.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:21 am
Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Timers, charts, tokens, all tried, nothing keeps him motivated for longer than a few days- his books are just too tempting I guess!

I like the ideas of a dressing station and of breaking it down into steps- will give them a try!

He is more than capable of getting dressed by himself; it’s just all the distraction that stops him.

nchr

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:36 am
Is he eventually getting dressed in time to go to school? If so, I'd let it go..

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:22 am
nchr wrote:
Is he eventually getting dressed in time to go to school? If so, I'd let it go..

This.
And if he's not getting dressed in time and the Velcro ideas don't work, call you wake him earlier?
I'm not a morning person, it takes me a really long time to get up and about in the morning.. so I'm out of bed between 6 and 630 so that I have enough time to do what I have to do, because in the morning, I am NOT efficient

behappy2

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:24 am
You can dress him. You wont be dressing him forever.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:30 am
nchr wrote:

He is with my nagging, c’mon c’mon...
He gets taken to school every day so I wouldn’t leave without him...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:32 am
behappy2 wrote:
You can dress him. You wont be dressing him forever.

That’s what I thought, but then I wondered if he will ever want to do it himself in the near future if I just step in all the time?

nchr

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s what I thought, but then I wondered if he will ever want to do it himself in the near future if I just step in all the time?

It's not appropriate to dress a 7 year old (not talking about tznius, but about age appropriate responsibility). I'd wake him up earlier and not nag, because nagging is also not appropriate. The timer may also be a good idea. I personally just don't like rushing people because I feel like everyone has their own pace and quality over quantity, etc.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 9:44 am
Try and change where he gets dressed. Instead of his interesting room, can he go to the bathroom or your room with his pile of clothes? If he's a reader, his book can be waiting at the kitchen table, where he can read it while he eats breakfast (if he will eat while he reads.) So the distraction is gone and the incentive is waiting.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 10:19 am
I prefer to wake up earlier and let them take their time. Less stressful.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 10:53 am
I struggled with this with my daughter a while back. I turned it into a game and it took the pressure off. Every morning, we used to pretend she was coming to my store and I was the store keeper. I showed her outfits and she chose. Then she would "try it on" (only one!!) and I would use silly voices to say Are you done, dear? Do you need any help with that? How does it look?. And it took a lot of the fight out of it. It was kind of exhausting on my part... Like some mornings I was cranky! And I would think to myself Dear G-d, just put the darn clothes on. But it really helped turn it into something positive. It petered out eventually and she still has fond memories. Looking back, I think she was overwhelmed and it was just too hard for her to do without support...

behappy2

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ever heard of a 14 year old who still wants to be dressed?

My son is 9. ADHD and I was always going crazy with contests and what not. Today he basically dresses himself unless I am in a rush and dress him. It just happened on its own.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics