Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is leopard print for frum women?
Previous  1  2  3

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 10:03 am
ectomorph wrote:
My husband has zero idea about frum style but he was horrified by the idea of me wearing leopard print. So I wouldn't get it. I don't mind if he stays blissfully conservative in how I dress - less work for me Smile
He also thinks leather is awful looking.

My own father was completely and totally oblivious and it always makes me laugh how my husband never notices anything and then will randomly take exception to a particular style.

Does he notice by himself, or do you buy something and then ask him?

ectomorph

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 10:10 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Does he notice by himself, or do you buy something and then ask him?

It's only come up when I'm thinking of buying something and text him a picture

caveat emptor

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 11:55 am
I find this thread so interesting. I never thought there was anything wrong with leopard print. Then my mother - who is not that frum and doesn't normally care about these things - said that leopard print is trashy and is an announcement to the world that you're "available."

I don't really know what she's talking about. Does this perception come from the secular world? Since then, though, I haven't worn leopard print, even though I've seen several nice outfits that I may have otherwise bought.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:13 pm
I don't think leopard print says "available". Maybe it says "try anything and you're dead".

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:33 pm
Leopard print is worn by so many classy people in so many classy pieces and styles, that if it was ever considered to give off that wild vibe, it's definitely not valid anymore. It's been mainstreamed into general, albeit more trendy, fashion. But nothing more than that.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:41 pm
I love leopard print tops or casual dresses. It's a great camouflage for extra weight!

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 4:07 pm
caveat emptor wrote:
I find this thread so interesting. I never thought there was anything wrong with leopard print. Then my mother - who is not that frum and doesn't normally care about these things - said that leopard print is trashy and is an announcement to the world that you're "available."

I don't really know what she's talking about. Does this perception come from the secular world? Since then, though, I haven't worn leopard print, even though I've seen several nice outfits that I may have otherwise bought.

Yes. Animal prints have a more trashy connotation. Think “Pretty Woman”. But it sounds like in RW communities that’s not so.

Studious

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 2:52 pm
It is not necessarily a frum thing. We had a whole discussion about leopard shoes at my office (law firm in Israel) and some non dati women thought that they were tacky. And we’re pretty casual at the office.

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 5:44 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Yes. Animal prints have a more trashy connotation. Think “Pretty Woman”. But it sounds like in RW communities that’s not so.

It depends on the RW communities. It isn't done in mine.

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 6:54 pm
Studious wrote:
It is not necessarily a frum thing. We had a whole discussion about leopard shoes at my office (law firm in Israel) and some non dati women thought that they were tacky. And we’re pretty casual at the office.

That seems to be the pattern, for secular people animal prints have a tacky connotation that frum people may not know about. That said, in my mother’s generation they were considered SO tacky, today less so, but the tacky connotation still lingers somewhat.

SuperWify

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:14 pm
I’ve always loved leopard. I wear.

watergirl

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:19 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
That seems to be the pattern, for secular people animal prints have a tacky connotation that frum people may not know about. That said, in my mother’s generation they were considered SO tacky, today less so, but the tacky connotation still lingers somewhat.

Yup. Recalls memories of Peggy Bundy and Janice Litman-Goralnik (née Hosenstein, previously Litman).

But if you like it, rock it!!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

It is very trendy now, in all the high end stores. Very conservative designers such as Michael Kors. It's not tacky anymore though it was at one time. Most of the pop culture being referenced here is at least 20 years+ if not more.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:32 pm
It certainly seems to be. A good chunk of women were wearing it in shul today-including the rebbetzin who was wearing a leopard top.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics