Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need help with my 16 month old

ais567

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 9:10 pm
So,I am trying to stop nursing him for a few reasons. At the same time I am also trying to train him to fall asleep on his own because until now he would fall asleep while I nursed him, and then I just transferred him to his crib.
So I stopped nursing during the day, only morning and evening and plan to eventually stop slowly one feed at a time.
Every single night he screams for ages until he falls asleep, and then wakes up a few times in the night and I have nothing to calm him with. I cant nurse cos that defeats my goal, he wont take a pacifier, does drink a bottle but only juice and not in the night when he is crying and really wants to nurse.
So he cries and cries non stop every single night.
I'm at my wits end, he is not a newborn anymore.
I shouldn't be having such sleepless nights when my baby is 16 months old already!
Any any advice PLEASE would be really helpful.....

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 9:35 pm
When I was night training my babies at that age I had my dh go in at night when they woke up. They still cried, but since it wasn't me it was a little easier to not be expected to nurse. He just held them and soothed them however he could, and eventually they stopped waking up.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 9:55 pm
U checked for anemia? Is he eating well?

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 9:58 pm
Oh, I didn't realize you were the op from that thread. What changed in the last ten days? Is he getting enough calories?

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:27 pm
He may not be ready to stop nursing. You might want to try again in a month.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:32 pm
He might be thirsty, keep a sippy cup of water in his crib every night.

healthymom1

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:38 pm
Sounds really difficult. Please remember that your baby is ONLY 16 months ... he is NOT doing this to purposefully hurt or keep you awake.
Hes calling out to you. He feels like he needs you, whether you agree or not, you have a more comprehensive mind than him.
He is 16 months and does nothing to hurt you on purpose.

I would suggest maybe having a bottle of water. You can try different sleep training methods, go in talk to him rub his back, show him you're there for him and 1 week of hell will hopefully train to just sleep all night.

Even 2.5 year olds can cry in the middle of the night, and he too wouldnt be doing it on purpose.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:42 pm
Oy, this really is worrying me. Has he started eating again? If not, isn't he starving and/or dehydrated if you aren't nursing him any more? Please realize that weaning is not the correct way to get him interested in food. You would need to work on feeding and only wean once he is consistently getting enough calories and nutrition from food. If he's not eating and you aren't nursing it's very understandable that he's crying from hunger, thirst or both.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 11:04 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Oy, this really is worrying me. Has he started eating again? If not, isn't he starving and/or dehydrated if you aren't nursing him any more? Please realize that weaning is not the correct way to get him interested in food. You would need to work on feeding and only wean once he is consistently getting enough calories and nutrition from food. If he's not eating and you aren't nursing it's very understandable that he's crying from hunger, thirst or both.

Exactly. I have had personal experience -you don't want him to end up in a feeding tube. Please take him in for blood work.

pearled

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 11:18 pm
I know this won't prob won't be popular but I had my toddler drink from bottle of warm sweetened cown milk during DAY when I was trying to night wean him. he got used to that taste and then he was okay with warm milk bottle at night instead of nursing. Slowly weaning off sweetening it. Eventually diluted the milk with bottle of warm water at night until he started sleeping though. This was a good process for us. Hatzlacha!!

pearled

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 11:19 pm
I know this won't prob won't be popular but I had my toddler drink from bottle of warm sweetened cown milk during DAY when I was trying to night wean him. he got used to that taste and then he was okay with warm milk bottle at night instead of nursing. Slowly weaning off sweetening it. Eventually diluted the milk with bottle of warm water at night until he started sleeping though. This was a good process for us. Hatzlacha!!

pearled

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 11:20 pm

shanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:07 am
I’ve read (in the precious little sleep book) that sleep training and night weaning should be kept separate and not attempted together.

That book might have some ideas for you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics