Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chanukka in Israel with kids

JLi

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:13 am
My sister is getting married in the Mercaz, right before Chanukkah.
So, we (Dh + Moi, 11yr old, 7 yr & 1,5 yr old) are extending our stay over Chanukkah.

We'll be living by family in the Mercaz and plan to rent a car.

We - all of us - have been to Israel plenty of times.
Mostly for extended weekends to visit the family.

We normally hang out at the mall, spent time at the beach, and go at midnight to the Kotel.

My DS (11yr) lately mentioned, that Israel is nice, but he's seen it all already some "gazillion" times and knows it all.

It made realise, that we should definitely start introducing to him to the broader "Eretz Yisrael" and not just the fun ( I.e. beach & Toys'R'us)

So, with limited means, and being home by 4:30 for Chanukkah candle lightning,
I'm asking for your help.

I read of a place in the Galil, were kids can grind their own flour and make pitas and milk a cow/goat. That would be interesting for both kids. As it bring the Halachot that learn in Dinim And Gemara alive.

Perhaps something tied together with Chanukkah...

I'd love to do the Kotel Tunnel or Ir David, but DH get's claustrophobic around to many people.
Since it's Chanukkah, and all the schools are on vacation, I need to consider places that are not to crowded.

We have no problem, hitting the road by 9am or even 8:30am.

Looking forward to your input

JLi

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:00 pm
Bump

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:13 pm
Check out the Israeli Groupon website (called groo, for some strange reason) for ideas of interesting activities. Also, the funinjerusalem site for ideas in and around Jerusalem.
Eta=sorry, tried to include links but they didn't work

gingertop

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:32 pm
I think Israeli imas are mostly going to sleep now but very quickly- about the Kosel- are crowds the only problem or are the tunnels too claustrophobic as well?

The tunnels should not be too crowded because it goes by reservation but there are places where it is quite tight so may be uncomfortable for claustrophobic child.

Every attraction will be quite full -> packed. Many schools are off and it's also a huge tourist season.

If you start out at 8:30 and reach Yerushalayim at ~10:00 from the Merkaz, Kosel shouldn't be too crowded on a regular weekday, even on Chanukah. Earlier is better but it still shouldn't be terrible. Have you ever done the VR at the Kotel?- it's short but very nice. Reservation required so crowds should not be an issue. You can go on to a few places in the Old City which are usually not very full. Churva shul, 6 day war memorial, Jerusalem under siege room, Old Yishuv court, the 4 ancient shuls, Cardo marketplace, mechon hamikdash - these are all small 1/2 hour trips so if you do 2 of these and eat lunch somewhere, you can head back by ~1:30 and be back in Merkaz without too many crowds (hopefully).

To the Galil- tied into chanukah would be Bnei Darom visitor center which is about the ancient and modern processes of making olive oil. It will probably be very full because Chanukah themed.

Machon Hamikdash in the old city ties into the chanukah story but it's not a very big place. I would do that when going anyway to the Kosel, stop there for a visit.

Ein Yael in Jerusalem has a combination of olive press and other ancient skills like pottery, weaving, etc.

I've never been but there's a Hasmonean village in Modi'in http://www.hasmonian.co.il/GuidedTour.html
Not sure if it's good but probably not far from where you are and might be enjoyable.

If you're in the mood of fun volunteering, consider contacting Yad Eliezer or an org that gives out packages in the hospitals. I don't know which orgs in the Merkaz do that.

gingertop

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:36 pm
Also, all museums have special Chanukah exhibits/ activities. Science museums, Diaspora Museum, ... if you're interested in any of these things, check their chanukah schedules and see if they have an exhibit or activity that would work for your kids.

gingertop

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:38 pm
Teomima wrote:
Check out the Israeli Groupon website (called groo, for some strange reason) for ideas of interesting activities. Also, the funinjerusalem site for ideas in and around Jerusalem.
Eta=sorry, tried to include links but they didn't work

this

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:42 pm
I know of a tour guide who specializes in taking groups to an archeological dig somewhere near Modi'in, where they are able to join in. They normally manage to find some pottery fragments from the time of the Maccabim, which they are allowed to take home. A private tour guide might be expensive, but this is very hands on and interesting for children and very connected to Chanukah. Could also be crowded around Chanukah time though.

gingertop

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 4:47 pm
I'm not sure what age kids you have but boating/kayaking/caving/jeeping./hiking/camel riding are all fun and brings you to different places and sceneries in EY.
Tzuk Manara has a few attractions like alpine slides. Scenery is beautiful and it's a fun place. But it's expensive IIRC.
Rosh Hanikra is gorgeous . not so much to do there but it's a beautiful place for cable cars, hiking a bit,

flmommy

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:04 pm
Gan Tomo candy factory

frog

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:15 pm
Can u please post contact for the archaeological dig.
Tia

librarygirl

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 6:56 pm
You can book a private tour at the zomet institute. Very interesting!
Visitzomet.com

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:49 pm
artzeinu during chanukah offers tours of the maccabean tunnels/ruins and the like afaik in modiin.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 5:44 am
My cousin did this on Sukkot with her kids and raved about it!
https://rimonorna.wixsite.com/.....efarm

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:05 am
gingertop wrote:
I'm not sure what age kids you have but boating/kayaking/caving/jeeping./hiking/camel riding are all fun and brings you to different places and sceneries in EY.
Tzuk Manara has a few attractions like alpine slides. Scenery is beautiful and it's a fun place. But it's expensive IIRC.
Rosh Hanikra is gorgeous . not so much to do there but it's a beautiful place for cable cars, hiking a bit,

I am going to Israel in a month with my kids. I was wondering can boating/jeeping/camel riding be done in the winter? If yes where? my kids would love that. Also is tzuk manara open all year round?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics