Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Lingering pink eye, now what?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:50 am
My 4 month old had pink eye two weeks ago in one eye, it cleared up a bit and then spread to the other eye and now both eyes aren't red or puffy but they both have lots of discharge. It's been two weeks and the doctor said to "keep an eye on it" whatever that means. What should I do? Should I be worried?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:00 am
1. Make sure house is disinfected and linens changed

2. I always keep the antibiotic cream in the house and give it at the first sign. This dropped our incidence from like once every 2 months to once a year.

You start giving the instant one kids eye turns red, and wash everything and disinfect the house, so that it doesn't have time to spread. Now we get it like once a year, and one kid, instead of all the kids all the time.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:05 am
I have prescription antibiotic eye drops from when my other child had it last year, should I use those?
I'm reluctant to use antibiotics unless absolutely necessary

healthymom1

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:14 am
If you nurse...put breastmilk in his eye
Google it if you dont believe me, but it does wonders (for babies, kids and adults!). It wont burn and it has MANY healing factors. I think better than antibiotics at such a young age

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:23 am
I did put breast milk a couple times but I guess I'll do it more often and see if I see a difference

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:47 am
Sometimes continued eye discharge in infants is related to clogged tear ducts. Maybe get a second opinion before continuing with antibiotics.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have prescription antibiotic eye drops from when my other child had it last year, should I use those?

No, it has to be a new tube.
You need to ask a doctor to approve a new tube anyway.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I would not use anything prescription on a small baby that wasn’t prescribed to them. That being said, with pink eye you almost always have to treat both eyes even if only one eye looks infected because it spreads. It doesn’t sound like you ever treated it if you just put breast milk in a couple times not regularly so it makes sense that it didn’t go away. I would get a second opinion maybe from an eye doctor if you don’t want anyone else in your house catching it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:04 am
The doctor said it looked viral not bacterial which is why she didn't give drops, it's a real pain to go to the doctor again because it's expensive Sad
I guess I'll keep trying breast milk and if no change in a day or so we'll go back to the doctor

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:48 am
Were his ears checked? My dr always asks about the ears when there is discharge from the eyes.

miami85

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:11 pm
sounds like it is probably clogged ducts rather than pink eye.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics