Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Schools in Flatbush
Previous  1  2  3  4

solo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:13 am
I have 3 neighbors who send to ppy. ages kindergarten to 3rd grade. We wait at the same bus stop and in the spring all the girls get off the bus in short sleeves and short socks... maybe they’re breaking the “rules“ But also the school is not interfering. Their brothers go to derech ha torah

solo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:19 am
My friend taught in a bais yakov high school and said the lev girls that come in are consistently overwhelmed by the workload vs girls from the other bais Yaakovs listed. I also have a friend who switched her daughter to lev cuz she wasn’t keeping up academically in the other school. And just recently someone told me that she really wants to send her daughter to Manhattan high but doesn’t know if shell get in cuz she’s in lev elementary.
Sure all this info is second and third hand. But I doubt op was expecting only ppl on the school board to weigh in. And even that would be biased info

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:29 am
solo wrote:
I have 3 neighbors who send to ppy. ages kindergarten to 3rd grade. We wait at the same bus stop and in the spring all the girls get off the bus in short sleeves and short socks... maybe they’re breaking the “rules“ But also the school is not interfering. Their brothers go to derech ha torah

How can they be wearing short sleeves if they only have long sleeve uniform shirts? This year even pre1a has a uniform.

As for socks, there are always people who don't follow rules but I know for a fact the school tries to be strict about knee socks.

As for the brothers, it's a mix. Plenty of Chofetz Chaim and some other schools as well

solo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:39 am
Of course if ur looking for a school where the parent body is kind and friendly u can ask indigo amother where she sends her girls:)
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Don't know where you're getting your misinformation, but under no circumstances is Lev academics " inferior" . You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. Unless you're a current parent, please abstain from bad mouthing a school. You come across a's a "know it all", and your info is such a bunch of baloney.

Prospect does not allow short sleeves and short socks as part of their uniform for elementary school. Another lie.

Before you make up stories about a bunch of schools, do yourself a favor and make sure you do your homework first, and that you know what you are talking about.

You clearly dont.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:44 am
Solo, that is not kind either.

I have tried to be very careful how I phrased things and I am sure other amothers have too.

If amother indigo felt personally attacked about her choice of school being judged it doesn't give someone else the right to use that to smear an entire school.

solo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:58 am
I know lovely families that send to all the schools that were discussed aside from bnos bais yakov. I don’t think any school is better or worse only better or worse suited for ur child

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:02 am
solo wrote:
My friend taught in a bais yakov high school and said the lev girls that come in are consistently overwhelmed by the workload vs girls from the other bais Yaakovs listed. I also have a friend who switched her daughter to lev cuz she wasn’t keeping up academically in the other school. And just recently someone told me that she really wants to send her daughter to Manhattan high but doesn’t know if shell get in cuz she’s in lev elementary.
Sure all this info is second and third hand. But I doubt op was expecting only ppl on the school board to weigh in. And even that would be biased info

I'm wondering if your friend is still saying that. My bright seventh grader is an a student and can spend two hour on hw a night. Are they a top educational school I agree they aren't but they are not inferior. I also have a daughter in the younger grades and I see how they raised the bar and she is learning much more.

In terms of prospect I worked there last year every kid was in long sleeve uniform shirt and knee socks. Do they maybe roll up the sleeves on the bus us one thing but don't say they wear short sleeves to school

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:09 am
Prospect requires knee socks even for the little kids?

Gosh. Is there any decent school in Brooklyn that lets little girls wear short socks, following the Halacha to cover the ankle and knee, and not the minhag to cover the leg?

My daughters school (not Brooklyn) requires knee socks from first grade and up- definitely not in Pre1A (they all wear short socks til first grade)- but I'm surprised that Prospect doesn't allow short socks a little longer, til middle school or whatever.

Oh, well.

As for long vs short sleeves, yeah, why would Prospect allow short sleeves .... I'm sure they require elbows to be covered. That's basic Halacha. Doesn't make sense that they would allow short sleeves after pre1A.

Do they allow short sleeves through pre1A though?

My school used to allow short sleeves through Pre1A. Not anymore though. Now only through kindergarten (Again, not Bklyn).

Side note- thank G-d I send to community schools, where not everything is so labelled and broken up by types.

Also, saying a school is less yeshivish isn't an insult. Not everyone is interested in becoming the rebbetzin of the universe. Diversity is healthy. Apparently not in Brooklyn though.

solo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:37 am
Does prospect really only allow long sleeve blouses n knee socks for the younger grades?then I’m mistaken. That’s more stringent than some of the other schools that allow long sleeve polos for elementary short sleeve until P1a and short socks until 1st
yes my mom always said it was unfortunate that living in such a lg orthodox community there are lots of options and things get divided by type and level of observance... in the small town where she went to school there was one orthodox option and a range of backgrounds and level of observance...

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:11 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I'm wondering if your friend is still saying that. My bright seventh grader is an a student and can spend two hour on hw a night. Are they a top educational school I agree they aren't but they are not inferior. I also have a daughter in the younger grades and I see how they raised the bar and she is learning much more.

In terms of prospect I worked there last year every kid was in long sleeve uniform shirt and knee socks. Do they maybe roll up the sleeves on the bus us one thing but don't say they wear short sleeves to school

Also have to agree with you. My girls come home with a TON of hw from Lev. My Jr high dd has tests and quizzes every day. We came from a diff school and the academics in lev are higher than the school we came from. Lev much higher academics. Not sure what everyone talking about.Seems like every school has a reputation that is somewhat divorced from the reality.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:31 am
solo wrote:
Of course if ur looking for a school where the parent body is kind and friendly u can ask indigo amother where she sends her girls:)

You are one nasty lady.

Reality

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Also have to agree with you. My girls come home with a TON of hw from Lev. My Jr high dd has tests and quizzes every day. We came from a diff school and the academics in lev are higher than the school we came from. Lev much higher academics. Not sure what everyone talking about.Seems like every school has a reputation that is somewhat divorced from the reality.

Your last sentence is spot on!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 3:11 pm
Reality wrote:
Your last sentence is spot on!

Take it from Reality - she should know!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries