Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Egg free potato free latkes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:44 pm
Possible? Can use zucchini, turnips, carrots etc, just not potatoes.
Not sure what to do about the eggs though.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:31 pm
https://unboundwellness.com/sw.....tkes/
Haven't made this but I've made many of her recipes and they are no fail and delicious

Arrowroot starch is like corn starch
And btw in general you can sub a flax egg. 1 T flax seed to 3 T warm water let sit til it congealed like 15 min.

amother
White

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:45 pm
Has anyone tried to make potato latkes without eggs? would flax eggs do the trick or would the latkes be too chewy?

*edited as I misread the title. I apologize, op!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:59 pm
I literally just made these an hour ago and so good. I made up amounts and all but took the ingredient ideas from a recipe I have seen before.

*I made it up so amounts are guestimated*

4 Potatoes (I used the larger sized ones from the 5lb bag)
1/4 zuchinni (peeled, I peeled in strips so some peel is on)
1 small onion (I used one on the smaller side)
maybe 1 tsp or 1.5 baking powder (I just tapped some in straight from container so its a guess)
2-2.5 tbsp spelt flour (any flour would work. I tapped in from container so amt is estimate)
salt
pepper

squeeze out liquid. form (squeeze out the dripping liquid. I didnt squeeze tonz when forming)
Fry in avocado oil or any oil you like. Make sure oil is hot first.
Carrot in the pan can keep the oil from browning.

This recipe made 12 smaller latkes. Good for 2-3 adults.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:01 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I literally just made these an hour ago and so good. I made up amounts and all but took the ingredient ideas from a recipe I have seen before.

maybe 1 tsp or 1.5 baking powder (I just tapped some in straight from container so its a guess)
2-2.5 tbsp spelt flour (any flour would work. I tapped in from container so amt is estimate)
salt
pepper

squeeze out liquid. form (squeeze out the dripping liquid. I didnt squeeze tonz when forming)

OOPs I see now that you also wanted potato free. I would try with beets if I were to do something instead. Good luck!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:24 pm
What about magic chickpea liquid instead of eggs? Would that work?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:25 pm
Isn’t that just pancakes?

BA

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:36 pm
im so glad I'm not the only one frying egg free latkes. I actually put a zucchini in to replace the eggs. so I'm thinking a mix of grated zucchini (I grated on the small side of the grater) mixed with grated a different root vegetable other than potato might work. I also poured out the liquid and fried them a little longer to help them stick together.
good luck and enjoy!

chasdie Hashem

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:59 am
I do cauliflower/squash with sweet pot& flax eggs-delicious

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:30 am
This feels somehow not PC to say, but you will not be able to imitate the taste of latkes with different ingredients. You can make other delicious foods, but it's the potatoes and eggs that make latkes taste the way they're supposed to taste.

octopus

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:53 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
This feels somehow not PC to say, but you will not be able to imitate the taste of latkes with different ingredients. You can make other delicious foods, but it's the potatoes and eggs that make latkes taste the way they're supposed to taste.

I make egg free potato kugel all the time. Not sure how it would work on latkes, but I'm definitely going to try. Sometimes you do what you can do. We have an egg allergy and, sure, it's not exactly the same, but you do your best.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:05 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:

salt
pepper

Thank you so much for this recipe! I have my first few on the frying pan right now... Smile
I also estimated the flour and baling powder as I don't know how to follow directions on general, and I add oil. Thanks so much! We are so excited to finally have latkes again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics