Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
No more bottles at bedtime?
Previous  1  2

banana123

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 12:07 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
My kids up to age six drink milk bottles to go to bed and none have ever had a cavity.

I know someone whose kids never wore helmets when riding bikes and they're still alive.
And a pair of siblings who survived a car crash that killed their parents, way before car seats were mandatory (they weren't in car seats at all).
I also know people who never brush their teeth and don't have any cavities.
And I know people who drank formula and didn't suffer extra gas or constipation because of it.
And I also know people who eat tons of junk food and are stick-thin.

banana123

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 12:10 pm
pause wrote:
I tried everything above. First switched to water only. Then to a sippy cup. The kid was still guzzling water each night, so I let it go. At age 3, when the kid was old enough to understand, I said "no more water in bed, you can come to the kitchen for water in a cup" and then a couple of weeks later proceeded with the night-training .

This is a great, gentle, gradual way to end it.

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 12:14 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I don’t to be told off by others- trust me I know. He drinks 90% water plus 10% apple juice- still bad but a vast improvement from the 3+ bottles he was drinking beforehand. My son has major oral sensory issues. He needs to suck all day- do t even get me started on the paci. Without these things he goes crazy. We’ve tried a few times to put only water but he cried for hours and wouldn’t fall asleep. Anyone have any constructive advice?- I will gladly take it!

I told you off??

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 1:54 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I hope he's in OT

He is. No improvement on his oral issues.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 1:58 pm
Is it better to switch gradually? Get rid of the bottle altogether, only sippy cup and then work on no sippy cup at bed? Or cold turkey? I feel like hell freak out if it's cold turkey

banana123

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it better to switch gradually? Get rid of the bottle altogether, only sippy cup and then work on no sippy cup at bed? Or cold turkey? I feel like hell freak out if it's cold turkey

That really depends on your child. Smile Different kids respond differently to different methods...

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:24 pm

Same problem here. We should commiserate lol.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:32 pm
If the issue is overhydration, it's better to switch to a paci than a sippy cup.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:33 pm

I had more progress with an excellent speech therapist than an (also excellent) OT when it came to oral sensory issues.

gyf45

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I switched from bottles to sippy cups without the spout- munchkin miracle is great -it’s better on the teeth too. Anything with a spout makes you feel more thirsty. It’s psychological if I have a water bottle by nighttable I’ll drink it more often as opposed to a plastic cup filled with water.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics