Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby looooves eating
Previous  1  2

trixx

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. So I nurse her to sleep at night but during the day we do an eat play sleep routine. Like the times if she does fall asleep nursing I'll take her off and then she's awake until nap time (I do rock her to sleep with a pacifier for naps so I am guilty of that...).

Do you think my nursing her to sleep at night plays a role in this?

I think nursing to sleep is still OK though I would make a slight distinction anyways like after nursing, swaddle and shema.

I would highly discourage rocking to sleep.. Such an important skill to learn to sleep on their own. You have the 4/5 month sleep regression coming up too.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:21 pm
How about give her some baby cereal (single grain) mixed with your breast milk?

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:15 pm
When my baby fell asleep while sucking I always dislodged her. No need for them to keep sucking forever once they've finished eating.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:18 pm
nchr wrote:
How about give her some baby cereal (single grain) mixed with your breast milk?

Just curious why you're recommending baby cereal for a 4.5 month old who is gaining well and sleeping well? This is a baby who seems to enjoy nursing/ sucking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:42 pm
Thanks for all of the responses everyone. I'm sure it's not a supply issue. I pump occasionally and I know she's getting enough. Not planning on giving her formula or adding cereal in just to up her calorie intake.
I feel better now that it's ok to take her off when she's finished actively eating and seems to be just sucking.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:49 pm
trixx wrote:
I think nursing to sleep is still OK though I would make a slight distinction anyways like after nursing, swaddle and shema.

I would highly discourage rocking to sleep.. Such an important skill to learn to sleep on their own. You have the 4/5 month sleep regression coming up too.

Thanks. This is something I know I need to address I've just been too anxious to!
Right now at night I swaddle and then feed her. So you're saying I should feed and then swaddle her?
Ok so this is a totally different topic but since you brought it up....

I'm so horrible with the naps. I rock her and basically carry her around while she sleeps. Eek. I'm so scared to put her down that she'll wake up. Every day I'm like tomorrow I'll get her to nap in her crib....
How do I even get her to fall asleep without rocking her? She isn't such a huge fan of her pacifier- she'll take it occasionally but by itself not enough to really calm her. How do I get her to fall asleep on her own? If I put her in her crib awake she cries and cries. I have to put her down once she's asleep...

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:49 pm
I would try to get her on a paci. I know not so popular with some moms but some babies really have a need to suck. I wouldn't worry she'll have a paci forever. Good luck and lots of nachas

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:58 pm
Rocking a 4.5 month old to sleep is not a big deal. Probably most babies that age are rocked to sleep. If it doesn't work for you, ok that's a reason to stop. Otherwise, she'll only be this tiny once. It's ok to baby your baby.

trixx

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. This is something I know I need to address I've just been too anxious to!
Right now at night I swaddle and then feed her. So you're saying I should feed and then swaddle her?

I'm so horrible with the naps. I rock her and basically carry her around while she sleeps. Eek. I'm so scared to put her down that she'll wake up. Every day I'm like tomorrow I'll get her to nap in her crib....
How do I even get her to fall asleep without rocking her? She isn't such a huge fan of her pacifier- she'll take it occasionally but by itself not enough to really calm her. How do I get her to fall asleep on her own? If I put her in her crib awake she cries and cries. I have to put her down once she's asleep...

Read the Baby whisperer, seriously. She outlines in depth every possible scenario and trouble shoots it.
Ofc it's ok to baby your baby but it doesn't help to start making patterns of bad behavior. And it sounds consuming for you too which isn't helpful.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:42 pm
trixx wrote:
Read the Baby whisperer, seriously. She outlines in depth every possible scenario and trouble shoots it.
Ofc it's ok to baby your baby but it doesn't help to start making patterns of bad behavior. And it sounds consuming for you too which isn't helpful.

Rocking a baby isn't bad behavior Smile

lovetobemommy

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Does she have a mobile or some musical toy in her crib? My baby falls asleep beautifully while watching the mobile in his crib and sucking his pacifier

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 3:55 am
My sister had mild low supply and her baby nursed constantly. One day she gave a bottle. The baby gulped it and proceeded to sleep for several hours in his own crib. He'd just been hungry.
She switched him to formula and he's slept amazing ever since.

Sara255

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:48 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Rocking a baby isn't bad behavior Smile

Not bad behavior but a bad habit that you will eventually have to train them out of, so much of the literature says not to start it to begin with. That being said I have rocked my babies once in a while , if I knew they know how to fall asleep without it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 8:22 am
Sara255 wrote:
Not bad behavior but a bad habit that you will eventually have to train them out of, so much of the literature says not to start it to begin with. That being said I have rocked my babies once in a while , if I knew they know how to fall asleep without it.

Right, but this baby is already 4.5 months so that ship has sailed. I'm just saying, there's no rush to train her right now. IME my babies developed self soothing habits a little older and started falling asleep independently.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics