Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What to do with middle school students - Chanukah

all is good

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:30 pm
I have 3 days of school & my students will not be interested in learning...what can I do with them that will be fun, but they'll be learning something at the same time? (I teach history & ELA)

avrahamama

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:11 pm
Can you have a class Hanukah party?

Writing games!

Snowball stories! Students have 3 minutes to start a story when the timer rings they crumple up their paper and toss it like a snowball. Then everyone scrambles to get someone else's snowball and continue that story for three minutes. Do this for maybe 3 or 4 rounds.

Trashketball set up a pile of questions on paper. Students can answer the questions and if they get it right they can crumple the paper into a ball and try to shoot into trash can. If they make the basket they win points for their team.

Pass the parcel! In between laters of newspaper put different things. A prize, a review question, a challenge, a request to show off a talent.

Ive done more but cant remember them all right now.

all is good

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:04 pm
Thanks so much! I like these ideas!

mishpacha1

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 12:02 am
all is good wrote:
I have 3 days of school & my students will not be interested in learning...what can I do with them that will be fun, but they'll be learning something at the same time? (I teach history & ELA)

Kahoot review games, history/ela projects... review game where they write on the board (idk why but my students will always jump to participate if it means writing on the board).
I was even considering having my students get up and present and “switch places” with me... we’ll see

groisamomma

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 12:09 am
Teacherspayteachers.com

Endless resources for every Y"T for all subjects. You can filter for Free items but the paid ones are worth it. I use many of them year to year. Escape rooms, treasure hunts, everything.

(mishpacha1, I did some really good Kahoot!s with my kids on Friday. I agreed to play an Xmas one if we also did a Chanuka one. Turns out the Chanuka Kahoot! was in Hebrew. Guess who won?! It was hilarious!)

all is good

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:26 am
Thanks! Whats a kahoots game?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:35 am
Play bingo
Have card filled like shape of Chet of h for Hanukkah you might find bingo cards online

mishpacha1

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:42 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Teacherspayteachers.com

Endless resources for every Y"T for all subjects. You can filter for Free items but the paid ones are worth it. I use many of them year to year. Escape rooms, treasure hunts, everything.

(mishpacha1, I did some really good Kahoot!s with my kids on Friday. I agreed to play an Xmas one if we also did a Chanuka one. Turns out the Chanuka Kahoot! was in Hebrew. Guess who won?! It was hilarious!)

That’s so funny! Sounds like you enjoyed!!!

Op, kahoot.com is a great resource! It’s a quiz game online. Either you can make your own quiz or find a pre-made one online. Each student/ team has a computer and they race against each other in the multiple choice quizzes. My students beg me to play it. I usually use it as a review for a chapter we learn, and sometimes I even have my students each create a few questions and I’ll compile it to make the game.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:54 pm
mishpacha1 wrote:
That’s so funny! Sounds like you enjoyed!!!

Op, kahoot.com is a great resource! It’s a quiz game online. Either you can make your own quiz or find a pre-made one online. Each student/ team has a computer and they race against each other in the multiple choice quizzes. My students beg me to play it. I usually use it as a review for a chapter we learn, and sometimes I even have my students each create a few questions and I’ll compile it to make the game.

I use it as a quick Do Now or closure. One thing I started doing is offering it as an end of chapter assessment choice. I usually give them a couple of choices because not everyone tests well. You wouldn't believe how well they can put together entire Kahoots on their own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics