Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Identical twins run in families
Previous  1  2

banana123

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:02 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Not identical twins

Yes, also identical twins. IVF, and even more so ICSI, raise the chance that the fertilized egg will split entirely in half.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:31 am
I had a vanishing twin. By my first ultrasound, the doctor saw a dead embryo next to the live one that turned into my daughter. He said it's very common. Many people don't go to the doctor very early (it was at 8 weeks) and never even know about it, because the dead embryo dissolves into the mother's body.

I also have twins, and at one doctor's visit, the doctor said that since they are two placentas and two sacs they're probably fraternal twins, but since they're both the same s-x they can test if they're identical after they're born. We didn't bother with the test because they are obviously not identical. Look completely different from the minute they were born.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:42 am
Are they actually genetically identical, or do they just look exactly alike?
Because identical twins do not run in families! If they all are identical, it's just a really cool coincidence!

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:54 am
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/twins wrote:
Monozygotic (MZ) twins, also called identical twins, occur when a single egg cell is fertilized by a single sperm cell. The resulting zygote splits into two very early in development, leading to the formation of two separate embryos. MZ twins occur in 3 to 4 per 1,000 births worldwide. Research suggests that most cases of MZ twinning are not caused by genetic factors. However, a few families with a larger-than-expected number of MZ twins have been reported, which indicates that genetics may play a role. It is possible that genes involved in sticking cells together (cell adhesion) may contribute to MZ twinning, although this hypothesis has not been confirmed. Most of the time, the cause of MZ twinning is unknown.

Seems like it is an observed fact. Interestingly it's the only type of twins that the father's dna plays a role in. With fraternal twins the mother needs to ovulate two eggs but here if the early embryo has poor cell adhesion...

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:57 am
PIPSQUEAK wrote:
We have FOUR sets of identical twins in our immediate family....
Mother has twins. I have twins. Two of my brothers have twins. All identical.
So does it not run in the family??! and were talking two females gave birth to twins, two Men fathering twins, so its really interesting.....

Really cool (although I'm sure also very challenging). I wonder if anyone in your family will ever have higher numbers of identical multiples. There's a set of identical triplets in my neighborhood.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:09 am
mom2u wrote:
OP I have the same opinion as you I've seen to many identical twins in one family and I believe it's hereditary although according to scientists it's pure coincidence.
By fraternal twins the only way they can tell it's identical through an ultrasound is if there's one placenta but if they have 2 separate placentas you can only confirm it by doing an DNA.
When the embryo splits right when the person conceives they'll have 2 placentas but if it splits 3 days after conception they'll have one placenta with 2 sacks. 6 days after conception they'll have one placenta one sack and if it splits 9 days after the person conceives it's siamese twins.

This is not true identical twins have seperate sacs or their corde will tangle and it’s called monoamnionic twins I found this out I had that thru a sonogram and spent a month in the hospital my twins were born healthy

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:12 am
I have identical twins on my grandfathers side they are identival twins
On my great grandmothers side are identical triplets
My husband is a faternal twin

gamanit

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
This is not true identical twins have seperate sacs or their corde will tangle and it’s called monoamnionic twins I found this out I had that thru a sonogram and spent a month in the hospital my twins were born healthy

I don't understand how you're disagreeing with her. You're just saying that you had this. I believe typically the embryo splits earlier on. Her timing is somewhat off but otherwise correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....twins

turca

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:37 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Twins often means fertility treatments these days.

Absolutely not true.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:15 pm
My twins (no treatments, no family history) had one large placenta - but they think it fused. We couldn't tell at first, but after a few days it was extremely obvious that they are NOT identical, and looking at newborn pictures we can't imagine how on earth we ever thought they might be! (We wrote A and B on their feet, but now looking at pictures it's instantly obvious who is who.)

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:36 pm
I'm an identical twin and I conceived identical twins last year. I unfortunately lost them at 14 weeks. My mom also conceived a 2nd identical set and she lost one twin in her fourth month but delivered the other one safely B"h. My grandfather (mother's father) is also an identical twin. Given all this, I think I can safely say that they can definitely be genetic!

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:39 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

True! I'm an identical twin myself and did a lot of research. You are spot on.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 2:17 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Why is it "def not" assisted conception? (You seem so sure.. were you there?

Because when someone has twins 9 months after the wedding, it's definitely not assisted!

I'm not the Beige amother obviously, but that's exactly what happened to my neighbor - 9 months after the wedding, twin babies!

mom2u

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 3:48 pm
What's not true? I don't understand what you're disagreeing with. Identical twins with 2 separate placentas are called dichorionic diamniotic. The only way to confirm they're identical is by doing a d&a test. When they share placenta but have different sacks they're called monochorionic diamniotic. And if they share placenta and sack it's called monochorionic monoamniotic sometimes referred as mono mono twins. This is very rare and they're a very high risk pregnancy. It's possible I'm a bit off with the days when the egg splits since I read up on it 14 years ago.

suri63

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 2:07 am
ALL 4 SETS ARE IDENTICAL. IT CANT BE JUST A COINCIDENT....

amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Are they actually genetically identical, or do they just look exactly alike?
Because identical twins do not run in families! If they all are identical, it's just a really cool coincidence!

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 2:10 am
mom2u wrote:
What's not true? I don't understand what you're disagreeing with. Identical twins with 2 separate placentas are called dichorionic diamniotic. The only way to confirm they're identical is by doing a d&a test. When they share placenta but have different sacks they're called monochorionic diamniotic. And if they share placenta and sack it's called monochorionic monoamniotic sometimes referred as mono mono twins. This is very rare and they're a very high risk pregnancy. It's possible I'm a bit off with the days when the egg splits since I read up on it 14 years ago.

You are spot on.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more