Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Overnight soup for shabbos

Seraph

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:17 am
I need an idea of a soup (not chicken soup) that I could keep overnight on the plata. I am so sick of chicken soup that I refuse to make it. But it needs to be a soup that isn't thick or creamy, because then that can burn onto the bottom if left on overnight.

Ideas? Please?
Oh- and not anything with zucchini in it. Its been making me sick lately.

HooRYou

Post Thu, May 31 2007, 5:25 am
I am not sure if this is what you want but I (and also other friends of mine) have successfully left minnestrone soup on the platta overnight nd served it for lunch. I don't think you really need a recipe just make a mild tomato based soup and throw in bits of any veggies and or beans that don't make you sick right now. I wouldn't put in pasta though sine overnight cooking will probably make it gross, but meatballs would work well. Probably any brothy vegetable soup will be fine.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:45 am
Just serve chulent! Make it watery!

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:50 am
hm ... don't know what wouldn't burn ... but the chicken soup comes out a richer deeper flavor ...

what about a tomatoe vegetable soup ...

just make whatever soup more watery before hand so it doesn't burn ... maybe ...

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 9:53 am
breslov wrote:
I need an idea of a soup (not chicken soup) that I could keep overnight on the plata. I am so sick of chicken soup that I refuse to make it. But it needs to be a soup that isn't thick or creamy, because then that can burn onto the bottom if left on overnight.

Ideas? Please?
Oh- and not anything with zucchini in it. Its been making me sick lately.
I put different herbs and vegetables in my chicken soup , so I get different flavors. None of us get tired of it!

But I see that you're talking about a soup for Shabbos day...Cholent is really a meat soup, so yeah, you can make a nice meat soup, there are recipes in every cookbook.

louche

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 12:57 pm
Onion soup, minus the cheese, of course. Garlic soup, which is basicly chicken soup with a ton of fresh garlic cloves in it. You could always make it with a vegetable broth base instead of a chicken broth base, though I don't see the point. All you need to do is vary the type and number of extras you put in the soup. Carrots one week, celery the next, zucchini and green beans after, and call it "carrot soup" "zucchini soup" etc.

mommy24

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 1:41 pm
there is a lentil soup recipe I found on this site, it is great. I make it friday afternoon, in the crock pot, before shabbos I put it on the plata and we eat it fri nite and then shabbos day. it is delicious and really easy to make.
I can not remember who posted the original recipe here, I will try to find a link, otherwise let me know and I can type it up for you.

waterbottle

Post Tue, Dec 11 2007, 1:42 pm
I've made mushroom barley a number of times. It turns out so yummy because the barley is nice and soft.

It's really easy. I take some vegetable soup base, add water and salt to taste.
Saute sliced mushrooms in oil with onions until they are browned. Add saute to soup and cook. You could add more veggies too if you prefer that.

penina

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 5:16 pm
I'd second this, mushroom soup sounds great and has great components. Also, if you plan on doing this, you might want to think about a soup pot with a non-stick coating so you're not scrubbing away at any burnt bits all motzei shabbos. Also, my plata has an appetite for destruction so I put the soup on top of wads of tifoil so it doesn't directly touch the plata.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 5:37 pm
mommy24 wrote:
there is a lentil soup recipe I found on this site, it is great. I make it friday afternoon, in the crock pot, before shabbos I put it on the plata and we eat it fri nite and then shabbos day. it is delicious and really easy to make.
I can not remember who posted the original recipe here, I will try to find a link, otherwise let me know and I can type it up for you.
I think it was lisaj who posted it. unless it was a different one, but I have that one printed out.

mommy24

Post Wed, Dec 12 2007, 9:17 pm
here is the link for the lentil soup recipe from this site:

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....69108
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics