Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How would you organize a new laundry room?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 7:22 pm
We're making a new laundry room bh.I
What would you say makes your laundry room efficient, or what do you wish you had?I

It's going to be small. Ron for our washer and dryer side by side (top loading), a little walking space, a little cabinet/counter/having space.

Would you have shelves for bins for each family member's for, clean clothes?

How? Have you seen that done? (I'm thinking, then the kids will be responsible for getting their baskets.)

Any ideas or tips?

tweety1

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:43 pm
I have one huge drawer divided in 2 for dark and light. Another wide and somewhat deep drawer for towels. I also put in a big sink- wide and shallow to bathe newborns/little babies. I made room under the sink for pail and shmatas. I made a small space beside washer/dryer for mop and ironing board.

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:50 pm
This is my mother's system and it is AMAZING!!
Have a bin for each member of the family. I would use the fold able bins that can become flat or pop up. You can do this in a cubby shelf kind of thing or just have them around. When the clothes are clean - instead of you folding every single piece of laundry and then putting it into each child's drawers and closets - all you have to do is put the clothing straight from the dryer into that child's bin!! Of course you may want to fold it just a bit so it doesn't get wrinkled... This is a great system because
1. It saves you so much time!!! When the bin is full or your child is looking for his/her clothing, you can just hand them the bin and have them fold it away in their drawer! You don't have to be the sole folder. For the younger kids who can't do this, when you have an extra 5 minutes just grab their bin and "unpack" it into their space.
2. It teaches your family responsibility. It is an easy task to do and everyone can learn to help out in this way - by taking care of their own clothes.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:50 pm
Would you consider stacking your washer dryer to give you more space? And I would definitely add a sink if you can.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:53 pm
I already have my washer dryer, and don't want the expense of buying new ones... And too bad washer is too load, because I saw ideas online of shelves above machines...

Re. Sink, don't have room this way. But it's next to a bathroom, and I usually scrub clothes as water is going into my top loads washer

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:54 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I have one huge drawer divided in 2 for dark and light. Another wide and somewhat deep drawer for towels. I also put in a big sink- wide and shallow to bathe newborns/little babies. I made room under the sink for pail and shmatas. I made a small space beside washer/dryer for mop and ironing board.

I like idea for mop and broom space

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:59 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
This is my mother's system and it is AMAZING!!
Have a bin for each member of the family. I would use the fold able bins that can become flat or pop up. You can do this in a cubby shelf kind of thing or just have them around. When the clothes are clean - instead of you folding every single piece of laundry and then putting it into each child's drawers and closets - all you have to do is put the clothing straight from the dryer into that child's bin!! Of course you may want to fold it just a bit so it doesn't get wrinkled... This is a great system because
1. It saves you so much time!!! When the bin is full or your child is looking for his/her clothing, you can just hand them the bin and have them fold it away in their drawer! You don't have to be the sole folder. For the younger kids who can't do this, when you have an extra 5 minutes just grab their bin and "unpack" it into their space.
2. It teaches your family responsibility. It is an easy task to do and everyone can learn to help out in this way - by taking care of their own clothes.

Do you have pictures? That's the kind of idea that I had... Saw a few years ago online...

What does out lol like? What kind of cabinet?

Flip Flops

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have pictures? That's the kind of idea that I had... Saw a few years ago online...

What does out lol like? What kind of cabinet?

I can try to find pics. It looks like a wooden shelving unit that has square spaces. Each square would fit a bin. Something like a cubby unit.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 10:17 pm
I would want hanging space, for all the things that don't go in the dryer. Can you out a rod above the dryer? And/or the bins? I've seen people hang those wire shelves and then hang things from them too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 11:13 pm
Thank you everyone!! Yes, I want to put in a tension rod our lives for hanging. I hang a lot.

Re. Cubbies for bins- I double kits of pictures on line, but it'll need to be in concealed cabinet bc laundry room will be in heavily trafficked area that guests will go through

Do you have a special way of storing mop and broom?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry