Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
What’s the best method

taby

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:31 pm
I’m training now my toddler and he was so fine first two days yet the novelty of being a ‘big boy’ has worn off and may two weeks I need to literally force him to go. He pushed it off for hours.. don’t know what to do. I have huge anxiety about this as feel was too firm with first so finding myself too lenient now what is correct way to go about it?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:32 pm
Positive reinforcement. Give him something small that will still excite him every time he goes. Don't wean him off this for a while.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 10:39 pm
Only positive. No forcing. No anxiety.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 11:14 pm
I trained all my kids this way and it works like a charm.

Bought a potty. Placed it into the bathroom.

I bought some potty training books and read them again and again to my toddler. They were funny and cute.

My toddler enjoyed trying out the potty whenever it caught her fancy. Whether she needed it or not. She was “practicing”. Slowly she gained mastery.

When she was two and three quarters about. I bought panties. Whenever she had an accident I didn’t make a big deal at all. Just said it’s okay. Next time you will make it on the toilet.

After a couple of weeks or days depending on the kid. The child adjusted and felt very comfortable with using the toilet.

Some of my kids had anxiety about bowel movements. Some were grossed out some were just plain scared. I tried to be very supportive and understanding. And sometimes giving a pull up to a child so they could do their thing without stress.

All of them became experts:)

mom2mysouls

Post Fri, Dec 27 2019, 1:18 am
My tips:

- I make sure I feel the child is ready and will understand.

- Two weeks leading up I keep saying "--- is going to go to the toilet!" Mentally prepare them.

- I never used a potty, I hate them. Teach em straight at the toilet seat.

- The first 3 days everything is on the wayside. Toilet training is my main focus.

- I take them very often in the beginning. If I sense child didn't go for more than 45 min, I will take them and wait till they make, instead of waiting for an accident.

- I am very strict about not going back to diapers once I start, as I don't want to confuse the child. Also as a principal to break it through. It's traumatic for a 2-3yr old

- I do night training together, as they are very conscious in the beginning. You have to be prepared to be woken up at night and take them. Even so, they do sleep with a pull up the first few nights. But if they wake up repeatedly dry, I discontinue the pull ups. Not everyone is ready to do both.

- Once they are trained, I get them used to going at other places I.e. a store, neighbor...so they get used to something other than home.

-Tons of praises always. It sounds silly but when my 2 yr old goes #2, we wave bye bye to it by flushing. They always find it fun at that age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training