Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 year old cries for an hour straight many times a day

applesbananas

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 12:54 pm
Anything will set her off... I watched the clock yesterday- one of her fits lasted 58 mins.
Sending her to her room to cry results in her falling asleep.
She gets a lot of sleep at night bh.. I dont know what to contribute this behavior to..

All and any advice appreciated
Hugs welcome!

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:39 pm
Is this new?

Bruria

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:47 pm
What are the things that set her off?

mom2mysouls

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:47 pm
Terrible twos last longer than the 2 years.

Is she hungry? Did she drink enough?

Does she articulate what she's upset about?

I wouldn't send a 3 year old to the room. Sit down, hug her tight, and repeat to her what she's upset about. Sometimes validation and a hug is enough to soothe.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 2:57 pm
I would first rule out medical causes. Strep, ear infection, pinworms, anemia etc

Then sensory causes. Is she hungry? Tired? Having trouble articulating needs? Is she too cold or hot in your home?

Does she need to poop but can't or its painful?

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 3:13 pm
What's her trigger?

Is she home with you?

applesbananas

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 3:46 pm
The triggers are usually someone small. Her tripping, asking for a treat and I say not till she eats, touching something she shouldn't be touching and ill tell her so. Once she starts crying she cant seem to stop. I obviously am not looking to punish her. I meant putting her in her room because thr noise is hard to tolerate for so long. All of her needs seem to be met. She is otherwise a happy-go-lucky child...

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 3:50 pm
applesbananas wrote:
The triggers are usually someone small. Her tripping, asking for a treat and I say not till she eats, touching something she shouldn't be touching and ill tell her so. Once she starts crying she cant seem to stop. I obviously am not looking to punish her. I meant putting her in her room because thr noise is hard to tolerate for so long. All of her needs seem to be met. She is otherwise a happy-go-lucky child...

Has she always been like this? Crying a lot once set off even as a baby?
Is she your first child?

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:08 pm
Terrible twos.
Worse threes.
Like can be hard to a three year old. Just a few suggestions (which you may have already tried):
- crouch to her level when you say 'no' and explain the reason for the 'no' (touching electrical wires can burn you CV'S)
- saying something like "I can give you cukumber slices now, but not a cookie, since we are having supper soon. "
- "Ima gets tired too and needs a time out sometimes; do you need a hug and a few minutes of quiet time now?"

My DD5 has taken to going to her room and sobbing (screaming 'go away' when she is particularly contrarian or tired. Otherwise, she is my most happy, cheerful and happy-go-lucky (and usually my most articulate for her age).
Just know that it gets better!!
Hugs!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 5:34 pm
honestly?? If you said all of her (physical) needs are med then I’d focus on meeting her emotional needs. If I can help it I don’t let my child cry alone. Can you sit with her, hold her, sing to her, distract her?

applesbananas

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Has she always been like this? Crying a lot once set off even as a baby?
Is she your first child?

No, no, no.... Sad

applesbananas

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
honestly?? If you said all of her (physical) needs are med then I’d focus on meeting her emotional needs. If I can help it I don’t let my child cry alone. Can you sit with her, hold her, sing to her, distract her?

So shabbos was a great opportunity for this because she was crying in the afternoon and I had plenty of time to sit with her and hold her. Thats how I ended up watching the clock... its painful to sit with a kid and try to "make nice" for 58 mins straight. Offering to give her chills, play games, get her a drink. Trying to make conversation about school, sing songs. And her just shrugging and grunting.. incredibly frustrating...

ectomorph

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:04 pm
You took her to a doctor and checked for strep? One of my kids has a very short fuse when they're not well.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:04 pm
This type of behavior can be a sign of adrenal fatigue. Or brain inflammation from strep or some other infection.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:30 pm
applesbananas wrote:
So shabbos was a great opportunity for this because she was crying in the afternoon and I had plenty of time to sit with her and hold her. Thats how I ended up watching the clock... its painful to sit with a kid and try to "make nice" for 58 mins straight. Offering to give her chills, play games, get her a drink. Trying to make conversation about school, sing songs. And her just shrugging and grunting.. incredibly frustrating...

Did you try empathizing instead of trying to make the feelings go away?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:35 pm
Could she not be able to regulate her emotions? Read Janet Lansbury and whole brain child.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 7:39 pm
applesbananas wrote:
No, no, no.... Sad

She definitely needs to be taken for physical and if they don't see anything she should have a full blood workup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics