Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
WWYD? Priority for clients or vacation?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:22 pm
I am a makeup artist, and I am booked the entire Sunday (the 5th).
My husband just surprised me with tickets to FL! It's a very much needed vacation after a really stressful past few weeks. We would be gone for the weekend.
I'm so desperate for this vaca, and we can never get away because my husband is never off. He's finally off over the weekend (that's what he says....I think he's just taking off). And we have these tickets to FL.
What do I do about my Sunday clients???

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:24 pm
That's a really, really tough call. Yikes.

I don't think you can back out on your clients. They booked you. Even if you found someone equally qualified, people spend a lot of time looking into makeup artists before they choose the one they like.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:27 pm
I think it will not be very considerate to your clients, to say the least. And it will probably hurt your reputation. Please put yourself in their shoes.

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am a makeup artist, and I am booked the entire Sunday (the 5th).
My husband just surprised me with tickets to FL! It's a very much needed vacation after a really stressful past few weeks. We would be gone for the weekend.
I'm so desperate for this vaca, and we can never get away because my husband is never off. He's finally off over the weekend (that's what he says....I think he's just taking off). And we have these tickets to FL.
What do I do about my Sunday clients???

Could he take off a different week?
The 5th is like, right now. If you're doing makeup for weddings it's not worth your reputation. If you're doing senior photos or a bat mitzvah or something, maybe you could pass it off (and say you had an emergency? Something came up? Til they find out you went to Florida and there goes your reputation again...)
Your job by definition relies on ppl trusting you... Very customer based and word of mouth... Is it worth it?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:33 pm
I think if you find someone to cover you, it could work. Yes it 'may' ruin your reputation but
1) if you're great at what you do, you most likely will keep your reputation
2) if you and your hubs need it, then shalom baylis is super important!
3) money comes from Hashem!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:35 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I think if you find someone to cover you, it could work. Yes it 'may' ruin your reputation but
1) if you're great at what you do, you most likely will keep your reputation
2) if you and your hubs need it, then shalom baylis is super important!
3) money comes from Hashem!

Yes, shalom bayis is super important and money comes from Hashem.

But Hashem also says ועשית הישר והטוב. OP can ask a Rav, but it seems to me that it's pretty clear-cut what the ישר והטוב is over here. You can't pull the rug out from under your clients at this point. If it was for a month or two from now, I'd say, go ahead. But not for this coming Sunday!

agreer

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:29 am
Reschedule the trip. it's so unfair and unprofessional to cancel on your clients so close to Sunday.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:34 am
I'd ask dh to reschedule but if he can't then I'd go. You never know when you'll get another chance.

Didn't your dh know you were booked?

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:38 am
Very not fair to cancel. Even a few months in advance isn’t right, but the fifth ? Really bad. It has nothing to do with parnasa, or reputation. It’s not yashrus on your end.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:46 am
You CANNOT cancel on your clients unless you have a substitute that was agreed upon beforehand (that the client knew was a possibility)

And your husband shouldn't be surprising you for days that you have previous commitments

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:27 am
I'm so so overwhelmed thinking about it.
We so badly need this getaway. The past few weeks have been a little rough. My husband was so cute by surprising me. He doesnt know my schedule! And to make it worse, I have a horrible tendency of putting people before my husband (or even before our relationship).
It can't be rescheduled because the tickets are booked and my husband really is never off (we're talking, he works on chol hamoed and every erev y"t until as late as halachically possible)
I'm miserable thinking about missing this trip.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We so badly need this getaway. The past few weeks have been a little rough. My husband was so cute by surprising me. He doesnt know my schedule! And to make it worse, I have a horrible tendency of putting people before my husband (or even before our relationship).
It can't be rescheduled because the tickets are booked and my husband really is never off (we're talking, he works on chol hamoed and every erev y"t until as late as halachically possible)

What sort of event will you be canceling on?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:38 am
It seems like a tough spot for you, but I agree that it’s not right to cancel on you clients last minute.

This won’t fix it this time, but maybe discuss with your husband so that next time he asks you or checks your calendar before booking a flight. He clearly had good intentions this time but that doesn’t take away the commitment you made to your clients.

Sebastian

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:40 am
You cant cancel imo. It s stinks

lucky14

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:51 am
Are you canceling for a wedding or major event?
That's really tough. It's easy for us to give you an answer since it's not happening to us but I think that's really unfair if it's for a major event to cancel so close.
What is your husband saying about all this? What is his reaction if you decide you can't go due to the commitment? He didn't realize you might have people scheduled alread?

watergirl

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

OP, your husband took a risk when he scheduled this trip without consulting your calendar. This puts you in a very hard place, I understand. People have asked you a few times in this thread what kind of events would you be cancelling on. You can not cancel on a wedding, especially this close to the day. It will be very difficult for anyone to find another makeup artist at this late notice. This is not putting other people before your husband, this is keeping the commitments you have made. I'm sorry, your husband was wrong to do this without looking at your calendar.

As for "needing" a getaway, I see this all the time on imamother. Yes, I understand the feeling that you need to get away. But please realize, a need is air, water, shelter, food. A vacation is nice but never a need. I would see if you can change the dates of the tickets. Most airlines will let you change the booking and pay a fee. I would do this over cancelling clients.

IF you cancel, you really can only do so if you have found a suitable substitute for yourself. You can not cancel and leave the clients high and dry. I would ask a shailah about this, honestly.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Reschedule your clients. Tell them something unexpected came up and go!!!!!! JUST DO IT. U NEED IT. It is unfair to the clients so what? Nothing will happen.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:02 am
Wow, so strange- this was exactly the reason my makeup artist cancelled on me a week before my wedding (over a decade ago!) The replacement we found was really not great- I am still sad when I look at my wedding photos! So my vote is definitely not to cancel. (Anon because people know this story)

imasinger

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:07 am
How easy is it for you to find a good sub to do their makeup?

How easygoing is this client?

If it were me who had hired you, I'd want you to contact me, tell me the dilemma and that you had confidence in the substitute. It might smooth ruffled feathers if you offer a discount to make up for backing out (you'd pay the difference to the sub).

Then, if it were me, I'd tell you to go, and not to worry.

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:07 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Reschedule your clients. Tell them something unexpected came up and go!!!!!! JUST DO IT. U NEED IT. It is unfair to the clients so what? Nothing will happen.

Reschedule your clients? What exactly does that mean? “ I’m so sorry I can’t do your makeup for your sons wedding tonight but we can reschedule and I’ll do it next week?!”
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics