Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What is going on with my 18 month old? sleep and eating

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 11:51 am
He has had a perpetual (clear) runny nose and cough for weeks now. Went to doctor twice and he said he's fine, nothing to worry about.

Since shabbos, he woke up at 3 AM and 5 AM wanting to play. Till now he pretty much slept 12 hours (or just relaxed quietly till he sensed it was morning). Previously if he woke up at night, we just went in and gave him his pacifier and lay him down with his blanket and he'd go back to sleep eventually but now he wants to get up. The thing is, he was taking 2 naps a day and we just recently started trying to cut one out so that he's going to sleep really tired. I would think he'd sleep better, not wake up earlier!

Also, he hasn't been eating well. As soon as the food enters his mouth he spits it out. This is food that he has previously liked and enjoyed.

I don't think he's teething because as far as I can tell he has all his teeth.

Any ideas?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 12:20 pm
which nap are you cutting?

jfk92

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 12:22 pm
Hi OP
My son is 18 months old. Hes been having a cough and runny nose since last motzash and twice hes had fever. My dr ran cultures and tests on him- everything came back negative. Basically just a really bad/nasty cold. However my dr. Did recommend dimatap cold and allergy (very small dosage) and I have been using vics and a humidifier and doing suctioning for him (he fights it but it makes a difference). He seems to be much better since Thursday bh however- when this started his coughing would wake him up multiple times at night, and he also couldnt go back to sleep once his cycle was messed up so many times. So for two nights he was basically totally awake from 3-5 am and in his crib till he fell back asleep again. On those two days I put him down for an extra nap. Hes been on 1 nap since about 16.5 months. His quality of sleep was so poor that I just wanted him to rest a little more. Once his coughing reduced he wasnt waking up fully like that. Just a few coughs, hed stir and fall back asleep. As for the food- I made some changes so hed eat softer and moist food it seemed uncomfortable for him to eat crunchy/dry foods understandably. However it may just be lack of apetite because the child isnt feeling well. Id make sure hes hydrating and give lots of extra fluids- but definitely let your dr. Know DS isnt eating.
Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:11 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
which nap are you cutting?

Afternoon nap. He was taking a morning and afternoon nap and now we tried to move the one nap to early afternoon.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Afternoon nap. He was taking a morning and afternoon nap and now we tried to move the one nap to early afternoon.

Okay. I was going to say that a typical 1 schedule nap is from around 1-3 so baby shouldn't be going to sleep exhausted.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:20 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Okay. I was going to say that a typical 1 schedule nap is from around 1-3 so baby shouldn't be going to sleep exhausted.

He doesn’t sleep so long. He usually naps for an hour max and he can’t make it till 1 right now. He’s tired way earlier.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He doesn’t sleep so long. He usually naps for an hour max and he can’t make it till 1 right now. He’s tired way earlier.

sounds like he's not ready to drop a nap then.

Stars

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:55 pm
Naps tend to evolve on their own. Don't mess with them before you know the child is ready, and believe you me they will let you know.

The food thing doesn't seem related. Is he eating anything at all or refusing everything? Is he on bottles?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 2:55 pm
Babies and toddlers go through stages. it’s exhausting but normal

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:00 pm
Get him tested for whooping cough. Whoopingcoughdoctor.net
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics