Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
HELP! Religious organization and unemployment benefits

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:56 pm
So I just found out that the organization I work for doesnt pay into state unemployment or disability insurance programs. Apparently they are exempt because a religious organization "owns" them. Ok, there is a tiny connection and the religious organization doesn't provide funds or really control anything. Trying to be vague here on purpose. Ownership in name only, nothing we do goes back to them and nothing they do helps us.
I am worried that if CV something happens- like they fire me for no good reason (or get disabled)- am I out of luck? Can I not file for either of these?

I read somewhere that if I have a good valid claim for unemployment then they have to pay up- I get the money and the state goes after them for the cost. Is that true?
Anyone know anything about this law?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I just found out that the organization I work for doesnt pay into state unemployment or disability insurance programs. Apparently they are exempt because a religious organization "owns" them. Ok, there is a tiny connection and the religious organization doesn't provide funds or really control anything. Trying to be vague here on purpose. Ownership in name only, nothing we do goes back to them and nothing they do helps us.
I am worried that if CV something happens- like they fire me for no good reason (or get disabled)- am I out of luck? Can I not file for either of these?

I read somewhere that if I have a good valid claim for unemployment then they have to pay up- I get the money and the state goes after them for the cost. Is that true?
Anyone know anything about this law?

If you are eligible for benefits even if they never paid you can fight it. My relative works for govt and his job is to do this - he figures out if ppl denied should be getting and their employees should have been paying. It’s definetly available even if they never paid in. (I only know this about nj and md where they have some tough unemployment rules - prob true elsewhere as well).

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:08 pm
But you might want to ask a shayla if it would be mesirah because it's not just that organization owes you money (which you might need to go to Bais Din) but that you could get them in big trouble...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
But you might want to ask a shayla if it would be mesirah because it's not just that organization owes you money (which you might need to go to Bais Din) but that you could get them in big trouble...

Sorry. If they are cheating me and many others out of benefits we deserve and firing us because they know we can't do anything (unemployment insurance payers get increased costs when people file for UI) -- they deserve it. I have been threatened with my job for nonsense- I didn't want to do something possibly illegal and could jeopardize my career/name and was threatened. I just want to know if I can get benefits I deserve if they actually go through with it.
People who cheat and steal from the system don't deserve to be protected. But off topic.
I want to know my options.
Anyone know about short term disability? Or anything else about UI?
Yes I am looking elsewhere but its a tough job market.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry. If they are cheating me and many others out of benefits we deserve and firing us because they know we can't do anything (unemployment insurance payers get increased costs when people file for UI) -- they deserve it. I have been threatened with my job for nonsense- I didn't want to do something possibly illegal and could jeopardize my career/name and was threatened. I just want to know if I can get benefits I deserve if they actually go through with it.
People who cheat and steal from the system don't deserve to be protected. But off topic.

What state are you located in?
How many employees are there?

I know some non profits (like schools) some how create their own short term disability. Some of my sister in laws have that. The school doesn’t pay in but they still get the money. And it’s legal.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Options? You can take out private Short term disability insurance and request that the organization compensate you for the premiums.

you can do nothing and sue the Organization for what your STD benefit would be if you were to make a claim.

You can file for UI (if they fire you) and fight for it either with the state or take the organization to the BD and ask them to pay you what was deserved.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics