Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Celiac nutritionist brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 3:54 am
My teenage daughter has celiac, she eats close to nothing normal. Cereal everyday for breakfast, macaroni and cottage cheese for lunch and supper few bites of what I make could be chicken, sesame chicken ... otherwise no other protein. She eats some Katz’s twinkies for snack and pop corners some time. She tells me she’s constantly nauseous and not feeling too good. I really think she’s not getting normal nutrition. Any ideas where I can go for help in Flatbush preferably .

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 7:00 am
Bump

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 8:07 am
Change the pasta brand and see what happens.

Usually brown rice pasta is easy on the stomach and if she doesn't feel well could it be cross contamination?

You can also add rice and potatoes together with a protein, that's pretty healthy and something most people like to eat.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:03 pm
Try rice cakes with cheese, peanut butter, meats and chicken ok. Salmon , other fish. Salad with avocado, chickpeas. A lot of groceries have areas of gluten free products. The protein isn't an issue with celiac. Unless you make every protein with a gluten item. Try rice. Have family members with celiac- not saying it's easy but they are well stocked at home. Also they read ingredients to make sure no gluten ingredients- they will eat it if it doesn't say gluten free, as long as they have reviewed the ingredients and BH they are ok

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:11 pm
How do you know she has celiac? Was she tested? If she has celiac, she must go off gluten cold turkey, forever. And there are hundreds of companies catering to celiacs. Hundreds! With tons of substitute food options, and hundreds of online recipes and gluten free flours that are great.. But only once she's actually diagnosed by a biopsy

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:14 pm
She shouldn't be getting nauseaous from these foods if it's celiac. You can even make gluten free sushi and pizza. I'm not sure what the nauseated feeling is coming from but I doubt it's from gluten free food. Unless she's cheating behind ur back and eating gluten

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:16 pm
Make all different types of meats, slow cook the cheaper cuts, all types of fish are great, chummus is terrific... Avocado as a previous poster said... All types of beans and legumes, there's an abundance of food bh and none induce nausea.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 12:43 pm
I'm sure you know this already, but in any case don't forget that certain food items don't have gluten in the ingredients but are not made in a gluten free facility, so if she is eating something like that she might have a reaction.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 31 2019, 1:30 pm
My Celiac kid was always nauseous, not from the food, but when he was constipated ... which took a very long time to regulate once going gluten free. Make sure the bm's are regular.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 21 2020, 3:45 pm
Thanks everyone for your your info. Does anyone have a Flatbush good nutritionist that’s young that would work well with a teenager who had celiac

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 7:57 pm
Try Flatbush Nutrition on P and 14th. They work with all conditions and take insurance. 347-746-0453

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:09 pm
Can't she just be feeling nauseous bc she's getting no fruits/veggies and protein? GF products are some of the worst health wise on the market bc if the first ingredient isn't literally sugar the other ingredients have the same effect on digestion. She might be following the letter of the law by avoiding wheat but she's doing herself no favors in the (long but possible) journey of attempting healing.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 8:20 pm
When the body goes into ketosis (aka not getting enough energy to live off of), nausea is a very common side effect. Is your daughter losing weight? I would be pretty concerned if she were my daughter. Can you see Rachel Goodman? She’s in Crown Heights but I think she’s exactly what your daughter will need.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:54 pm
She’s not losing weight Bh. She tries to eat but she’s very picky eater and had other issues with food. I would love to go to crown heights in theory but I just can’t if I’m being practical. It’s too far for me , I have other kids and a new baby and work. So I need someone local. Someone mentioned on kings highway... is there someone you used that you’re familiar with? I don’t want to go to some random place I need a good person

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 22 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s not losing weight Bh. She tries to eat but she’s very picky eater and had other issues with food. I would love to go to crown heights in theory but I just can’t if I’m being practical. It’s too far for me , I have other kids and a new baby and work. So I need someone local. Someone mentioned on kings highway... is there someone you used that you’re familiar with? I don’t want to go to some random place I need a good person

You’re right. That is quite far. I was just throwing it out there. I’m pretty sure she does work virtually though. Otherwise, I’m going to look into other people for you. Btdt, picky eaters need a nutritionist that specializes in that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics