Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Anyone going to start daf yomi?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 8:27 am
I'm looking for a short shiur online (say 10 minutes) which would give a brief overview of each daf. I would love that by the next siyyum I have cc a basic understanding of what is in the Gemara, kind of like an index.

Anyone else doing this, or more?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:00 am
Do you want to start a fight about women learning gemara and egalitarianism?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:02 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Do you want to start a fight about women learning gemara and egalitarianism?

Chas V Shalom!

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:04 am
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?.....data=

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:06 am
That's not daf yomi. Get yourself an artscroll gemara and start reading.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:42 am
10 mins a day is not daf yomi

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:39 am
I don't know what your background is. Many yeshivish men with strong background find the Hebrew Artscroll very helpful, as well as shiurim on Shas Illuminated. I don't know what kind of time input is necessary.

I also know people who resolved to start Brachos, and their daf experience was a beautiful thing but for them, they stopped because it wasn't an effective use of their limited learning time. B"H their learning didn't fizzle out - they've still finished mesechtos, forged strong relationships with chavrusas, found other areas of learning and teachers, and are today celebrating their love of and relationship with Torah just as much as anyone.

So I wish you meaningful and invigorating sailing on the yam HaTorah, wherever it takes you through life. You might like this: https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....79808 It's called The Endless Quest by Rabbi Shraga Kallus.

keym

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:43 am
Kol Halashon has shiurim in different languages, different speeds and different intensities- you can see if one works for you.

Also some shuls and community kollels have newsletters- the week daf in review. Maybe see if any have online subscription.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:47 am
I keep thinking I will do this. I really should quit imamother and spend my time on Daf Yomi. A better use of my time, and more likely to have an effect on the world.

Resources: Either the Schottenstein Gemara or the Koren Gemara. When you do Daf Yomi, you are not trying to "learn how to learn," you're trying to get a better understanding of the breadth of the Gemara, to gain some familiarity with the topics. I do think that a person who goes through the whole cycle will be in a better position to learn how to learn, because knowing content matters, but it probably takes a while to get to that point.

In the past, I have tried several Daf Yomi online shiurim. I found them incomprehensible, in that they either veered off on a tangent, or explained the easy stuff while not explaining the hard stuff. And not all teachers are equally accessible to all people. I would love to find an online shiur that works for me.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:49 am
Also, some masechtas are more "fun" for some people than others. I enjoy masechtas in Nezikin and Nashim better than most of the others. But the whole point of Daf Yomi is that you do it all.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:50 am
ectomorph wrote:
That's not daf yomi. Get yourself an artscroll gemara and start reading.

It doesnt look like the OP wants to do daf yomi. It looks like she wants a general understanding of each daf.

I actually think this video idea is AMAZING. I spend tons of time on my phone. There is no way I will ever have time to do daf yomi nor do I think its anywhere close to a priority for busy working mother.

But to have a brief understanding and general idea about what is going on in the gemara is fantastic.

I may not be able to give a shiur but after doing this video thing for a while I bet I will be able to make all kind of connections that I never understood before when hearing a shiur.

How many times have you listened to a shiur and the speaker said something like "it says in bla bla bla... that so and so did xyz" and your eyes glazed over and you lost interest? It would be amazing for my brain to be able to hone in and say "wow I know what hes referring to. I heard about that when I was learning about whatever"

paperflowers

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:51 am
Jewish Action magazine had statements from different people about learning the daf. They included a statement from a woman about learning the daf. It made me so happy, as another magazine just talked to women about their husbands learning the daf.

It's a beautiful thing for women to learn Torah. It's very hard to make the time, so if you are able to follow along by listening to shiurim and to gain a background knowledge of what's going on, kol hakavod! Maybe one day...

keym

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:53 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Also, some masechtas are more "fun" for some people than others. I enjoy masechtas in Nezikin and Nashim better than most of the others. But the whole point of Daf Yomi is that you do it all.

My son has been learning Brachos for a while for his bar mitzvah.
He says that Brachos is fairly light, relevant topics (krias shma, Brachos, zimun) and not complicated.
So it's a good place to start with the light and easier before you get to the more complicated and less day to day relevant masechtos.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:19 pm
keym wrote:
My son has been learning Brachos for a while for his bar mitzvah.
He says that Brachos is fairly light, relevant topics (krias shma, Brachos, zimun) and not complicated.
So it's a good place to start with the light and easier before you get to the more complicated and less day to day relevant masechtos.

I have learned several perakim of Brachos in the past. There's a different style of reasoning and argumentation in different masechtas. It's not so much the practical application that is different, because that's true of many masechtas (like all the ones with tumah, or the korbanos). In some parts of Nezikin, especially Baba Basra, the reasoning is often not as text-based (as in pesukim from Chumash) as it is in the other masechtas. It is based on commonly held principles of property ownership, and learning that is fascinating. Nashim has a special emphases on documents and speech acts (I've seen this especially in Gittin, Nedarim, and Nazlr); if you like legal reasoning, it's so interesting.

But I imagine that there is little time to get into this in Daf Yomi, so it may not make a difference

shirachadasha

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:37 pm
You might like "The Weekly Daf" by Rav Mendel Weinbach.

https://www.amazon.com/Weekly-.....1260X

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:13 pm
A daf yomi shiur generally runs for 45 minutes to an hour. I don't know of any 10 minute ones because that wouldn't really cover the material.

Check out https://www.yutorah.org/ . DH is partial to Rabbi Lebowitz or Rabbi Rosner for the daf but you might find others who speak to you. Maybe see if you can find some shiurim that give you an overview before you start the nitty gritty.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:20 pm
I have been the one doing mishna HW with my son and next week he picks up his first gemara and guess who's helping with that HW??? In our community the fathers are often our of town or working late. So we have some very learned mothers here. Everytime I complain to my husband that he should be doing this HW he says "v'al titosh Torar imecha" lol

To make a short story long. I'd love a cliffs notes version of brachot to help me help my child.

I don't really enjoy the learning. It's too technical for me. But I do enjoy the connection with my son.

samantha87

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:49 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I keep thinking I will do this. I really should quit imamother and spend my time on Daf Yomi. A better use of my time, and more likely to have an effect on the world.

Cannot like this post enough!!!

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:52 pm
The chicago center for torah and chesed sends out a daf digest email. You can read over it at your own pace and get what you want out of it. www.dafdigest.org

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:56 pm
I'll leave it for my husband and sons.
Page 1 of 10   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics