Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Remedies to Relieve Cough

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:25 am
My 4 month old had an ear infection followed by a nasty cold approximately 4 weeks ago. He's been coughing ever since. Some days worse than others.

We've already been to the doctor twice since. They tested for whooping cough, and it came back negative.

So it's just a sore throat and doctor claims it can take a while to clear at this age.

Any home remedies to help him feel better?

Thank you!

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:30 am
I would clear his nose out often (but not too often) saline spray and the snot sucker.

Let his sleep a little elevated so that there's no post nasal drip.

What's his diet? Nursing? Bottles? Already having some "solids"?

If nurse as often as possible. If bottles make sure they're warm and maybe dairy free formula will help? And if the baby is having food. Why not try some Jewish penicillin and give chicken soup.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:52 am
Saline
Saline
Saline

Can also try using saline in a nebulizer. Refuah shelaima!

jfk92

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:57 am
Humidifier (they have a vics solution u can put in but ask your dr. Because baby is so younge), saline and suction, sleep in upright position, increase fluids.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:57 am
Some babies cough through the winter.
Nebulizer treatment can worsen a cough if the cough is from the throat and not from the chest. It makes the kid choke. Raise his mattress or keep baby in the carseat. There's nothing much to do for a cough.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:58 am
Humidifier.
And saline.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:35 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Some babies cough through the winter.
Nebulizer treatment can worsen a cough if the cough is from the throat and not from the chest. It makes the kid choke. Raise his mattress or keep baby in the carseat. There's nothing much to do for a cough.

It's not normal for a healthy child to cough through the winter.

Saline in a nebulizer will not worsen anything. Albuterol in a nebulizer should only be used by prescription.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:39 pm
Have this with my son. Doc says, it can take up to 8 weeks for coughing to stop (and then he usually has next cold, so he usually coughs through the winter Sad)

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 12:40 pm
Close the bathroom door and turn on the warm water of the shower. He doesn't need to go in the water - just breath the vapor.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 1:58 pm
If you do the warm shower approach-don't make it hot, stay there with him, and only a few minutes. There was a tragedy when a child was left in a bathroom, in middle of the night, in an infant seat or carriage etc. with a hot shower running by a well meaning father.

newbie613

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:10 pm
How does saline help for a cough? How often should I do it? My son is also suffering from a cough that’s not getting better.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 2:11 pm
My doctor actually said cold air. He told us to sit in front of open freezer.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:13 pm
Thanks everyone.

He is nursing, and started some solids. Thanks for the chicken soup recommendation, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

I have a warm humidifier in the room, and he sleeps slightly elevated.

Will try saline.

Thanks!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:15 pm
newbie613 wrote:
How does saline help for a cough? How often should I do it? My son is also suffering from a cough that’s not getting better.

Saline thins the mucus and helps it drain so it doesn't get stuck and cause coughing. Use it every hour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics