Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Egg boxes at Evergreen and Wesley Kosher now cost 50 cents
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:46 pm
I have a very large family and buy a lot of groceries every week. Why are they making us pay for boxes? Plastic bags which are not recyclable are free.
Anyone know why?
How do they package groceries in your area?

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 3:53 pm
Hatzlacha also has a 50 cents charge per box, for no reason.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:01 pm
forgot to say that it's the Monsey Evergreen. I don't know about the one in Lakewood.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:08 pm
It started at the same time as the plastic bags charge (because of the tax). Wonder what the connection is

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:11 pm
No one charges for bags in Monsey.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:17 pm
Charge for plastics bags will start in march

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:42 pm
Below is a whatsapp forward I received yesterday. It has to do with the plastic bag tax

As of 1/1/2020 all heimish groceries in Monsey are going to charge $.50 per box.
As of 1/1/2020 supermarkets are prohibited to give out free plastic bags, therefore they will be selling reusable bags and an option to purchase plastic bags as well, there will be a pack of 10 plastic shopping bags for $.50 per pack.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:47 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Below is a whatsapp forward I received yesterday. It has to do with the plastic bag tax

As of 1/1/2020 all heimish groceries in Monsey are going to charge $.50 per box.
As of 1/1/2020 supermarkets are prohibited to give out free plastic bags, therefore they will be selling reusable bags and an option to purchase plastic bags as well, there will be a pack of 10 plastic shopping bags for $.50 per pack.

So there aren't any options that don't cost money???

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:51 pm
I thought you meant boxes of eggs LOL

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:52 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
are they just taking advantage or did the prices of boxes go up for the supermarkets because bags were banned?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:54 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
are they just taking advantage or did the prices of boxes go up for the supermarkets because bags were banned?

If all the stores came together and decided this, I'm assuming that it's taking advantage. Why else decide this uniformly, instead of each one doing as they see fit?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 4:59 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

I don't frequent these stores or live in this area, but could it be that if bags will start to cost money according to the law, people will "take advantage" of the free boxes which used to be an option for people's convenience but now might cost the store a lot more money because they will need to give away a ton more boxes? So they need to start charging for boxes as well

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I don't frequent these stores or live in this area, but could it be that if bags will start to cost money according to the law, people will "take advantage" of the free boxes which used to be an option for people's convenience but now might cost the store a lot more money because they will need to give away a ton more boxes? So they need to start charging for boxes as well

Then each store can decide how much to charge for boxes themselves. Or maybe one store is ok with offering free boxes to attract customers. Why get together to decide one price across the board?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:35 pm
little neshamala wrote:

Wow, the stores didn't mention that we had to pay for plastic shopping bags. Where did you get this whatsapp message from?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:38 pm
In the uk we've had to pay for plastic bags for a while now.

Most kosher shops dont charge tho.

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:40 pm
if I buy my complete grocery order at your store, be decent enough and provide a box to take it home with. maybe cut your costs by not personalizing your eggboxes?!

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

You can bring your own bags or boxes-can't you?
My favorite store doesn't have boxes, and bags are .10 each. I keep shopping bags in my car for when I shop there.

amother
Maroon

In rockland kosher they also charged .50 a box and they told me they will be starting to charge for plastic bags!!

Monsey pays a fortune for groceries compared to the city now our bill just got higher! It annoys me that they couldn’t find a way to work around it.

amother
Slategray

The competition among the grocery stores in Monsey is brutal. Also, they help each other out. It’s an interesting dynamic.
So they all decided that they are not going to compete with each other with regards to this new law. Now that people won’t be taking plastic bags anymore (because there’s a charge) they don’t want everyone taking free boxes because they’re expensive.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 5:45 pm
happyone wrote:
if I buy my complete grocery order at your store, be decent enough and provide a box to take it home with. maybe cut your costs by not personalizing your eggboxes?!

Its a tax instituted by the government not the stores
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics