Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Anyone going to start daf yomi?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:34 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
A daf yomi shiur generally runs for 45 minutes to an hour. I don't know of any 10 minute ones because that wouldn't really cover the material.

Check out https://www.yutorah.org/ . DH is partial to Rabbi Lebowitz or Rabbi Rosner for the daf but you might find others who speak to you. Maybe see if you can find some shiurim that give you an overview before you start the nitty gritty.

I remember hearing one that was 30 minutes and lightning fast. Does Rabbi Lebowitz and Rabbi Rosner do the daily daf?

I sometimes read the english, and then wonder why it takes everyone else so much longer to read it. It takes 10 minutes or 15 minutes to read the english - so what takes so long? I'm probably missing out on important stuff.

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:43 pm
Saw this come up today
http://www.8minutedaf.com/

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 6:50 pm
https://main.hadran.org.il/

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:01 pm
For any one who wants to take it on, this isn't a daf shiur but a great pep talk on true consistency in Torah living, under 15 minutes, by Rabbi Fischel Schachter. It's on the Chazak Line, 1 845 356 6665. You have to wait to hear who dedicated it it honor of/memory of whom before pressing prompts. Then press 5 for Chumash or Parasha (don't remember which), 2 for Rabbi Schachter, 222 for the particular shiur.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:16 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I have learned several perakim of Brachos in the past. There's a different style of reasoning and argumentation in different masechtas. It's not so much the practical application that is different, because that's true of many masechtas (like all the ones with tumah, or the korbanos). In some parts of Nezikin, especially Baba Basra, the reasoning is often not as text-based (as in pesukim from Chumash) as it is in the other masechtas. It is based on commonly held principles of property ownership, and learning that is fascinating. Nashim has a special emphases on documents and speech acts (I've seen this especially in Gittin, Nedarim, and Nazlr); if you like legal reasoning, it's so interesting.

But I imagine that there is little time to get into this in Daf Yomi, so it may not make a difference

My husband learned masechtas nezikin in depth and I picked up a bit of what it's about when I would hear him learn or if he would repeat to me an interesting shayla that came up. It's a fascinating masechta and very practical too. If I would have the time to commit to learning a specific masechta it would probably be nezikin.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:17 pm
Kumphort wrote:
Saw this come up today
http://www.8minutedaf.com/

I was just going to say the same thing! I don't know exactly what it is, but OP it may be what you're looking for.

And btw I understand how you feel-- the siyum was so inspiring that I immediately thought I totally want to learn daf yomi. But my next more realistic thought was that it is not a reasonable plan for me. If I was was going to start learning gemara on any sort of schedule I think maybe amud hashavua would be more in the realm of the possible (is there such a thing?)

so instead I decided to try hard to resume my effort to finally finish all of chumash with rashi by learning the parsha with rashi every week b'ezH.

and also resolved to follow through on my intention to start learning sefer yonah with my daughter whose bas mitzva is on yom kippur b'ezH.

after I finish chumash with rashi then maybe I will go back to thinking about gemara..

Hatzlacha to everyone in their learning and their support of learning, and may we all be zoche to take the inspiration we received today and turn it into real commitment and positive action and growth b'ezH!

sky

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:18 pm
8 Minute Daf wats app group
http://bit.ly/Join_8Minute_Daf

There are some Daf apps that have really short shiurium. You just have to find one that you like.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 9:20 pm
Odelyah wrote:

and also resolved to follow through on my intention to start learning sefer yonah with my daughter whose bas mitzva is on yom kippur b'ezH.

after I finish chumash with rashi then maybe I will go back to thinking about gemara..

Hatzlacha to everyone in their learning and their support of learning, and may we all be zoche to take the inspiration we received today and turn it into real commitment and positive action and growth b'ezH!

I learnt Sefer Yonah and enjoyed every minute of it! It's deep, stimulating and has many beautiful messages!

Ellie7

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:19 pm
10 minutes is pretty short, but I really like Rabbi Etshalom's shiur, which you can find here: https://www.dafyomiyicc.org/. It tends to be 15–20 minutes and is very clear.

It's not as in-depth as an understanding as you'll get with a longer shiur, obviously, but the point of Daf Yomi is that you cover everything, not that you learn it all in-depth (which is a wonderful but totally different project).

I started Daf Yomi with Pesachim, so about 6.5 years ago (though have gotten behind in the last year or so—turns out, having a baby takes a lot of your attention. Who knew?), and I've mostly used the Koren Gemaras but have listened to Rabbi Etshalom's shiur when something is confusing or when I'd like to move a little faster than I can on my own.

It's been a really great experience for me, and I encourage other women to do it. It's given me an understanding of the breadth of what Torah contains, even if not the depth.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:28 pm
I did it!!! Well iyH in 2 more daf it will be official Smile
Ok, I read the artscroll Aramaic and English with the footnotes. I hope that counts? For 7.5 years.
I found it quite grueling and fear I didn’t retain much at all, I really thought I’ll do it once and that’s it but my husband gave me a Gemara trivia quiz and was so encouraging and positive about the random stuff I knew (even though I think I knew less than half of his questions) plus so inspired these last few weeks that I’m going to give it another go.
Totally agree how hard it is to stick with it through pregnancy (I went through 2 full terms during this cycle) but the nursing makes up for it- forced time sitting in one place = optimal learning time.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 10:55 pm
Shoutout for a Rabbi Shalom Rosner’s Daf Yomi shiur. I’ve been listening to him for almost two years, and I’m completely hooked. This time I also plan to try out the Zichru program to help with remembering the material.

I think everyone should give it a try for a week/ten days and see if it’s for you. No commitment is necessary - you can always quit after that - but you may surprise yourself by wanting to continue. There are podcasts, that make it easy to listen while driving, exercising folding laundry, etc., (if necessary).

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:00 pm
honeymoon wrote:
I learnt Sefer Yonah and enjoyed every minute of it! It's deep, stimulating and has many beautiful messages!

yes I am excited to learn it with her! BH she is very smart and loves learning BH and loves the idea of us learning something special together, so it really is a win all around! I'm just not very good at starting new routines so hopefully the inspiration from the siyum is just what I needed to get this going b'ezH!

Odelyah

Post Wed, Jan 01 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I did it!!! Well iyH in 2 more daf it will be official Smile
Ok, I read the artscroll Aramaic and English with the footnotes. I hope that counts? For 7.5 years.
I found it quite grueling and fear I didn’t retain much at all, I really thought I’ll do it once and that’s it but my husband gave me a Gemara trivia quiz and was so encouraging and positive about the random stuff I knew (even though I think I knew less than half of his questions) plus so inspired these last few weeks that I’m going to give it another go.
Totally agree how hard it is to stick with it through pregnancy (I went through 2 full terms during this cycle) but the nursing makes up for it- forced time sitting in one place = optimal learning time.

Mazel tov!!! How wonderful-- kol hakavod!! Heart

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:11 am
Thanks for all the replies. I did actually do Brachos and half of Shabbas this cycle before giving up . I would love to try the 8 minutes one or the WhatsApp one but the links did not work for me. Did anyone else have more success ? The Hadran looks interesting but I could not see Brachos...anyone else?

ETA just found a quick daf yomi review from this last cycle on yutorah from R lebowitz. They all seem to be less than 10 minutes long, which is perfect. Will just give me a taste, plus the opportunity to feel part of something bigger, without a huge time commitment. I know itynot 'daf yomi', but I still think it has value. Anyway I'll start it and see. Thanks for your help.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 8:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I did actually do Brachos and half of Shabbas this cycle before giving up . I would love to try the 8 minutes one or the WhatsApp one but the links did not work for me. Did anyone else have more success ? The Hadran looks interesting but I could not see Brachos...anyone else?

ETA just found a quick daf yomi review from this last cycle on yutorah from R lebowitz. They all seem to be less than 10 minutes long, which is perfect. Will just give me a taste, plus the opportunity to feel part of something bigger, without a huge time commitment. I know itynot 'daf yomi', but I still think it has value. Anyway I'll start it and see. Thanks for your help.

I'm listening to the Hadran Daf Yomi shiur on Berachos 2 right now. Well, I just paused the play button. Smile I sees it's around 45 minutes. My plan is to listen to that on the days I have time, and the 10 or 15 minute ones on rushed days. I have not yet been able to find the ones on Berachos by Rav Etshalom.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:03 am
There's a daily 8 minutes daf
https://www.8minutedaf.com/

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:59 am
Hey I’m just curious—

According to most Halachic authorities, women are not supposed/allowed to learn Gemara officially. Are all of you official daf learners from the MO end of the spectrum, or are some of you Chareidi girls doing this clandestinely?

gingertop

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:02 am
malki2 wrote:
Hey I’m just curious—

According to most Halachic authorities, women are not supposed/allowed to learn Gemara officially. Are all of you official daf learners from the MO end of the spectrum, or are some of you Chareidi girls doing this clandestinely?

I don't know on this site but there is actually a chareidi learning group in Jerusalem.

https://forward.com/life/43768.....lmud/

gingertop

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:05 am
I'm hoping to do it with Hadran. I don't know how long I'll last but today's lesson was interesting and manageable.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:11 am
gingertop wrote:
I don't know on this site but there is actually a chareidi learning group in Jerusalem.

https://forward.com/life/43768.....lmud/

Interesting, but it’s really not mainstream. Especially women being taught by a man, no matter how long his payos are.

Is this really becoming a thing in right-wing circles?
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics