Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Traveling. Leaving two bed wetters - ideas please?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:40 am
I have not gone anywhere in 16 years
Bezrash hashem I'm going to my nephews chasuna
I deal with a emotionally mentally ill husband +
MY two boys age 8 and 10 bed wet and are staying at a sister n law

I am having nightmares about it

Please advise me

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:46 am
I had this for many years way older than your sons- it's manageable I lived a normal life and went away a lot.

Desmopressin really worked for me. Ask your doctor. Another idea is to get a waterproof sheet for them to sleep on top of.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:53 am
Please prepare your sil ; send over extra pjs & sheets.
Also please consider how your husband's mental illness might be contributing to your children's bed wetting & get them some therapy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:11 am
they are in therapy as of recently b'h

will look into this med- can a regular doctor prescribe it?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:20 am
Will either wear Overnights? That's how I dealt with my bedwetters, until they outgrew it. Also used chux pads on the beds when necessary.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:25 am
they need ... like a big size
they're both in husky pants

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:28 am
Desmopressin, DDAVP, is commonly used for bedwetters. It does it solve the problem, but could control it in the short term. It doesn’t work for everyone. Warn your SIL in advance and send them with plastic sheets and bedding. Have a plan, like for them to put the sheets and their pj's in a hamper or bag every morning to be washed with minimum hassle.
(On a side note, we are using Bedwettingclinics.com it is a whole system developed and run by an Israeli doctor. So far it has worked for one kid, trying on two more now)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
they need ... like a big size
they're both in husky pants

Considering they make them in adult sizes, I think you should be able to find a size that works. It just happens to be the simplest way of dealing with it with the least hassle.

They are expensive, but especially for short-term usage I'd go there rather than trying medications when you're not around to monitor them for side effects etc.

Of course tell your SIL, but if they use a chux + overnite, then they won't need to wash their linens either, and possibly not even PJs.

(BTW, one of my brothers cured his bedwetting by not drinking a few hours before bedtime.)

cinnamon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:35 am
Desmopressin works really well for use to.
She also takes overnites when sleeping away from home just to be safe.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:21 am
Buy reusable bed pads. They're like reusable chux. You put them under the area they'll be sleeping. They can pee the bed but it won't go through the pad, and then you just wash them afterwards and reuse them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reu.....w_wcB

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Buy reusable bed pads. They're like reusable chux. You put them under the area they'll be sleeping. They can pee the bed but it won't go through the pad, and then you just wash them afterwards and reuse them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reu.....w_wcB

If it’s for a short time and another person’s responsibility, just get the disposable Chux pads.
But there’s still laundry. Pjs and top sheets/blankets. I use thin fleece blankets that dry quickly.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:15 am
My son was a bedwetter and medication didn't help. The only thing that helped was exercises - every time he went to the bathroom he peed for 3 seconds, stopped, peed for 3 seconds, stopped and repeated that until he was done peeing. It is essentially kegels for boys. Within 2 weeks he was 95% dry, within 2 months completely dry. This was a kid who was a HUGE wetter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:10 am
No drinks before bedtime and wake them up to use bathroom before you go to sleep.

gingertop

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have not gone anywhere in 16 years
Bezrash hashem I'm going to my nephews chasuna
I deal with a emotionally mentally ill husband +
MY two boys age 8 and 10 bed wet and are staying at a sister n law

I am having nightmares about it

Please advise me

everyone gave great advice but I just want to say that I'm sure your sister in law will be completely understanding and capable. Bedwetting is not some freak, unheard of condition and we are mothers and we know understand these things. I've had bedwetting guests and I was completely fine with that. I was told before, I prepared their beds with plastic mattress covers. One of the kids I once had was really embarrassed so his mother arranged with him that he would remove the linen and pajamas and put it in my washing machine and we wouldn't talk about it. I think he was about 10. He did that and I just put in detergent and ran the cycle, put it in the dryer, made the bed. He stayed for 2 weeks and most mornings I had linen in the washing machine. It's fine. Having guests means that we take these kids and welcome them to our families, with all attendant medical and emotional issues.

Years back, I myself sent a kid with major urological issues (it wasn't just nighttimes) to a friend when I went away. I explained the problem, provided pullups and everyone was completely fine.

Don't get so anxious about your sister in law. I'm sure she'll be understanding.

bnm

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:24 am
Peelaway sheets. Adult pampers. Multiple sets of linen. Make sure to tell your sister in law in advance, it shouldn't be a surprise. When we go away I have my kid use a pullup even though he doesn't wear one at home unless he is having a rough week, he doesn't wet the bed each night.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:30 am
When I send my bedwetters away I always make sure they are going to a relative or friend that won’t mind and will make sure that my kids don’t feel shame about it.
My son wears men’s adult absorbent underwear. Walmart sells Assurance brand. I use the smallest size for him. There are also pads that you can insert for additional coverage. I also have a plastic mattress cover. I would also put a rubber sheet on top of the bed if going away. This can be washed in the machine.
You can get them DDAVP from the doctor for this time . It is not a fix to bed wetting but a band aid and will keep them dry for the duration that they are away. The dosage goes based on their weight.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:27 pm
I love the DDAVP!
I'm not sure why a lot of drs are not prescribing it, it changed my life!
Not a big deal to wash linen but if you have to do it every single morning, it's another story! Especially if you're dealing with a few bedwetters (as most ppl are because it runs in families!).
I really had a hard time keeping calm even if I knew it wasn't my kids fault... At wits end

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:59 pm
Tell your sister in law to make up the bed with a waterproof sheet protector, a sheet, then another waterproof one, and another sheet. That way in the middle of the night, your child won't have to wake someone to help take care of it in an unfamiliar household. He can just pull off the wet one and the waterproof one, and he will still have a fresh sheet underneath. Then, you can ask her to show him where to put his soiled things so that he needn't be embarrassed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics