Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Staying alive in this business
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:11 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What if I own a Kosher deli, with the best hechsher there is , but I dont want to serve meat because I feel no one knows how to remove chelev properly...

No, it's like owning a deli and paying a lot extra to have a hechsher that meets the standards that you eat rather than the cheaper hechsher that has low standards

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
No, it's like owning a deli and paying a lot extra to have a hechsher that meets the standards that you eat rather than the cheaper hechsher that has low standards

Nah, it's rather like owning a deli and serving only a few select foods that meet your standards. Customers who prefer those standards may patronize your store, but they may not limit themselves to this deli. Other delis will have a mix of all kinds of standards and they can always find what they need there too.

If it carves out a unique niche, it may end up working out well.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:16 pm
Op, I am so impressed by your post. I'm glad to hear that there are still sheitel machers like that.
It may be helpful for you to remember that this is a challenge that Hashem gave specifically to you. You may see positive results after sticking to your standards, or you may not, and you might struggle with business. But what really counts is olam haba and I am sure you will get a lot of schar.

BH5745

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Nah, it's rather like owning a deli and serving only a few select foods that meet your standards. Customers who prefer those standards may patronize your store, but they may not limit themselves to this deli. Other delis will have a mix of all kinds of standards and they can always find what they need there too.

If it carves out a unique niche, it may end up working out well.

That would be a correct analogy, except all kosher foods are equally kosher, so long as they are actually kosher. But not all sheitels are considered (equally) kosher by renowned Rabbonim. If you're serving chicken, fish and salami- then these are universally accepted kosher foods, no argument there. But there is a difference between a lace front 26" blonde sheitel and a synthetic 14" dark brown one. The former is worn to turn heads, to make a woman more attractive. The latter is worn to look tznius and non-conspicuous.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:13 pm
BH5745 wrote:
That would be a correct analogy, except all kosher foods are equally kosher, so long as they are actually kosher. But not all sheitels are considered (equally) kosher by renowned Rabbonim. If you're serving chicken, fish and salami- then these are universally accepted kosher foods, no argument there. But there is a difference between a lace front 26" blonde sheitel and a synthetic 14" dark brown one. The former is worn to turn heads, to make a woman more attractive. The latter is worn to look tznius and non-conspicuous.

Regardless, there are groups of people who will only eat a specific hechsher & will avoid all others at all cost.

And regarding the bolded - therein lies the basis of your opinions. Why is that those who want to push an agenda, always assume the worst about people. Woman wear nice looking wigs, so they can feel good and be comfortable with themselves, and not to turn heads. You may find a select few who choose their wigs based on how many heads they can turn, but the majority choose wigs to please themselves and no one else.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:25 pm
Op im a sheitel macher in bp. My customers are more chassidish ie short wigs, hats, bands and synthetics. I used to work for a busy sheitel macher who served the chassidishe women as well. I can count in my hand how many lace fronts, not tops, we had coming in and the longest lengths are probably the shortest length elsewhere. So it depends which clientele youre attracting.

behappy2

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:27 pm
Maybe try to attract a different clientelle

behappy2

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:30 pm
Also there are woman, especially Chassidish, that have sheitels just for at home that may not be as tznius. For their husbands.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:34 pm
If my goal with my shaitel were to turn heads, I would wear a blue one.

sky

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:34 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
What if I own a Kosher deli, with the best hechsher there is , but I dont want to serve meat because I feel no one knows how to remove chelev properly...

I think it’s like owning a deli and only serving pas yisroel rolls when the non pas yisroel ones are cheaper and have a more artisanal look and the deli down the block started using them. And they photograph so nicely for Instagram (except they are photoshopped anyways...)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:55 pm
Basically, it is hard bec. You enjoy certain things about the business that you were doing/selling until now. However, you now realize that if you go "against the tide " of these new trends, then you dont have much business.

And, this is the problem with a lot of businesses, since the "bottom line" of a business is profit. Sometimes business owners change things they dont want to change only bec they need to meet the needs of their clients so that they stay as clients and then the business makes profits.

It is hard to do the above, but your situation is a little different bec you are talking about your rav telling you not to follow these trends??(if I understood correctly). So, in that case, you have an extra challenge here.

I just wanted to tell you I can relate bec I went into a certain business and it's very different now and (not as enjoyable and not what I want now) then when I first started. But, I need to meet the needs of my clients. (However, my issue has nothing to do with halacha, so you are in a hard situation. )
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels