Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Messiah by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra

Is this ok?
Yes  
 22%  [ 6 ]
No  
 77%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 27

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:25 am
dh wants us to go see this (we love classical music) but I'm wondering if it's a x-tian religious kind of concert? Thoughts?
https://www.tso.ca/concert/messiah-3Toronto Symphony Orchestra

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:36 am
It is absolutely a Christian work. The eponymous “messiah” is the man from Nazareth who was crucified and whose followers established that religion.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:59 am
It’s pretty...

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:43 pm
definitely Xstian definitely would not go

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 1:08 pm
Sequoia, I love the Halleluj—ah Chorus. It’s gorgeous. I sing it myself and substitute words (The King of all this world, He is One. The L-rd our G-d is One, His name is One, His name is One... and He shall reign forever and ever.)

But it would not be appropriate for a Jewish family of any stripe, Kal vachomer a frum one, to attend what is in essence a giant Christian worship service specifically glorifying and celebrating That Man.

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 1:38 pm
Maybe.
I feel differently. It’s art.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 2:28 pm
An artist may create a beautiful cross, but as a frum Jew, I would never feel comfortable going to view it and enjoy it.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:19 pm
Nude sculptures, paintings and other images are also art and are also inappropriate for frum people. Otherwise why not have a copy of the Venus de Milo in your living room? Whatever gave you the idea that labeling something “art” makes it kosher?

iyar

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:22 pm
Sorry OP.
Love classical music.
Voted No.
Sad

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:43 pm
I went to see Messiah symphony when I was a child. I remember feeling very uncomfortable. Please choose something else!

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:09 pm
from all the phenomenal compositions produced throughout several centuries there really IS 'cleaner' or less problematic art to choose from.
that being said, being a wagnerian I have attended the ring (which is in essence german mythology) several masses and requiems and many more productions, which definitely disagree with our hashgafa to put it mildly.

I agree with sequoia. its art. I jutsify it by knowing that understanding and loving these compositions uplift my spirit. but im NOT a posek and it is possible that my own rav would disagree.

dh disagrees, he interprets the prohibition of attending 'kirkas' ie circus any 'goish' event of entertainment which is conotated with religious or cult content.

so yes, eventhough a chritian might not see the messiah for its religious message but rather for its musical finesse, in essence it does celebrate Yoshke and is not the most suitable piece of music for a frum jew to enjoy I guess.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 7:41 pm
sequoia wrote:
It’s pretty...

yeah but, that wasn't really OP's question..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics