Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Weird question
Previous  1  2

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you mean by that? Do you think I should ignore the whole issue and let him learn whenever he does?

I also only have little boys and I feel you are way over thinking this.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 12:40 pm
Don't think you should bring it up. You should follow his lead.
My 5 yo son already knows that girls don't have p-nises, and that only girls (mommies) have b00bs- this is because he asked random questions and I was honest with him.

princessleah

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 1:08 pm
If your sister has a girl, casually have him help you change her diaper?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:54 pm
I told my son at age 3 that girls have a different private part and the same "tushY" in the back. I said it very matter of fact, maybe when he was using the bathroom. I think it came up because he was talking about which kids in his class use diapers/toilet.

To the poster who asked if the kids watch their parents use the toilet???!?!! What in the world? that is so inappropriate and weird.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I told my son at age 3 that girls have a different private part and the same "tushY" in the back. I said it very matter of fact, maybe when he was using the bathroom. I think it came up because he was talking about which kids in his class use diapers/toilet.

To the poster who asked if the kids watch their parents use the toilet???!?!! What in the world? that is so inappropriate and weird.

You've never been in a restaurant on your own with your 2 year old? Once the child is old enough to understand and listen, I would ask him or her to turn around but sometimes it's unavoidable.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 6:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Woerd question. I only have boys. My oldest a smart and intelligent 5 year old. He still doesn’t know that girls have different private parts.

I feel like the sooner he knows the less of a big deal it is. For the last few years I was hoping it should sort of come into a conversation. It never has. I even had sleepovers in the past and would dress them in the same room, he just never noticed or asked. I wasn’t gonna go to the girl and point it out.

I feel like anything you tell kids is so matter of fact and simple. Imagine a 12 year old finding out that girls are different, that would make him so curious. I think most kids who have sisters see their mother changing her diaper or bathing...

So my question is: am I crazy that I feel like he needs to know already?

If yes, how do I do it? Do I just tell him?

I guess it’s quite obvious that he’s the oldest and I’m learning... thanks for any insight

I had this with my only girls. When each of them were around 3, I looked for situations that could be a learning experience. Like with my first, when my sister was going to change her baby's diaper, I told my daughter nonchalantly, boys and girls have different private parts. Then my sister changed my nephew's diaper and dd saw the difference. That was the whole of it. No big deal.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Malkqueen

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:09 pm
DS was 3 years old when DD was born. The first time he saw me changing her diaper, his horrified reaction was "Mommy, DD doesn't have privates!"

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Woerd question. I only have boys. My oldest a smart and intelligent 5 year old. He still doesn’t know that girls have different private parts.

I feel like the sooner he knows the less of a big deal it is. For the last few years I was hoping it should sort of come into a conversation. It never has. I even had sleepovers in the past and would dress them in the same room, he just never noticed or asked. I wasn’t gonna go to the girl and point it out.

I feel like anything you tell kids is so matter of fact and simple. Imagine a 12 year old finding out that girls are different, that would make him so curious. I think most kids who have sisters see their mother changing her diaper or bathing...

So my question is: am I crazy that I feel like he needs to know already?

If yes, how do I do it? Do I just tell him?

I guess it’s quite obvious that he’s the oldest and I’m learning... thanks for any insight

I don't think he needs to know. I had no clue men had hair down there. FOund out when I got married. Nothing happened to me.

Obviously, I don't think it's an issue if he knows. But nothing happens if he doesn't.
My boys know cuz they see my daughter, and I never made an issue if they saw me changing her diaper.

Just don't think he HAS to know

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 8:43 pm
Cute story - I just had my first girl and my 5 year old asked me when her thing is gonna grow out. (He also wanted to try if the baby can eat from his stomach) LOL I explained to him that boys/men and girls/women are different.

He might be aware of the difference and isnt making a big deal out of it.
If you want you can ask for his 'help' when you change your sister's/friend's/neighbor's baby's diaper.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 9:01 pm
Remembered that my SEVEN year old who has been watching me change his younger sisters' diapers for YEARS asked me how you know if a baby is a girl or a boy when they are born. I just said that boys have a Makom Habris and girls don't.

Didn't cause any trauma to find out then, and also exposure doesn't always make a kid realize - it could be that they think that some kids have 'em, and some kids don't.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:36 am
Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone chiming in
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics