Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you pay extra for chicken bones in a net?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:33 pm
Do you use bones for chicken soup?
Do you put them in a net to cook?
Would you pay extra if you could buy them already in the net?

tweety1

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:34 pm
I sometimes do. Depends on my mood in the moment.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:35 pm
Bingo is pretty cheap for the chicken in the net so I started buying it.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:38 pm
my answers
a. yes sometimes
b. no
c. no

when I've used them it's in a big pot of soup where I use some bones and some chicken parts, and I just put the bones on the bottom underneath the chicken parts. they stay put and don't get mixed into the soup or anything so I don't see the need for a net.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 11:43 pm
Odelyah wrote:
my answers
a. yes sometimes
b. no
c. no

when I've used them it's in a big pot of soup where I use some bones and some chicken parts, and I just put the bones on the bottom underneath the chicken parts. they stay put and don't get mixed into the soup or anything so I don't see the need for a net.

if you strain the soup, it's easier to pull out the net of bones than pour into a strainer sitting in a bowl. Less cleanup. Also less likely to pour bones into strainer without the bowl and pour soup down the drain. (How many imas have posted having done that Can't Believe It )

meme6

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:00 am
Never would pay extra for that. I put the bones in the net bag myself!

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:04 am
Nope, I don't pay extra for things I can do myself.

Cut a chicken into quarters - hard, pay money for it.
Putting cut up chicken into a net? Easy peasy. Do it myself.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:08 am
OP - I'm so curious why you are taking a poll. Do you own a grocery?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:38 am
I put the chicken in a net myself. How do clean it properly if it is already all squished together?

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:45 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

Maybe. I buy it only at Bingo because it's cheap. I wish they would start carrying skinless chicken bottoms. Now that I would pay for!

tilot37354

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:48 am
Does everyone strain the soup? I actually like the soup with chicken/meat and vegetables inside. I look at people that strain the soup like they're crazy, and they look at me like I'm crazy.

agreer

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:51 am
tilot37354 wrote:
Does everyone strain the soup? I actually like the soup with chicken/meat and vegetables inside. I look at people that strain the soup like they're crazy, and they look at me like I'm crazy.

I strain it because I don't like seeing the pepper/herbs and chicken gunk in it.

Then I put the veggies (and sometimes chicken, shredded) back in.

I like a clear, golden broth. It's cloudy if you don't strain it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:13 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:

No, I don't, but I know someone who is thinking of doing this and they wanted to know if it's worthwhile.

As for straining the soup, I'm only talking bones in a net. Not chicken parts. Most people don't want bones in their bowl of soup.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:24 am
No. Because I like to use the backbone with neck attached and the ones that I've seen in the net are leg bones and not as flavorful.

The truth is backbones don't even need a net, because they are one big piece and easy to remove from the soup. No bones ever mix in to anything.

I also don't like that I can't rinse the bones well when they are in a net bag, before I use them for soup (if I don't rinse for chicken soup, it doesn't come out as clear).

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:30 am
When I’m pregnant I definitely would.

thanks

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:37 am
I buy the bo es in the net. They have more chicken on them then the other bones.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:39 am
groisamomma wrote:
Maybe. I buy it only at Bingo because it's cheap. I wish they would start carrying skinless chicken bottoms. Now that I would pay for!

They do. Certainly in the Brooklyn bingo.

shmosmom

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:13 pm
For the one who posted about cloudy soup-that means your chicken isn't fully defrosted when your soup boils.
Whenever I buy chicken bones I buy it in a net, it grosses me out otherwise. If the store is out of the netted ones I make hubby do it.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:15 pm
When I go shopping, depends on my mood. Literally each week different. (each package is maybe 70 cents more than the non-netted ones, so for me it pays, vs nope I'm not gonna pay any extra), and if my husband's the one shopping, he always buys it because he knows I hate picking up each bone to put into the net

dv

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:16 pm
I buy the bones in a net...I gag easily and once I gag on something I’m cooking its out of my diet and I love soup....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen