Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
KETO VS ATKINS VS DUKAN
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:10 pm
Hi all!
I cant believe I'm this overweight! I'm quite good looking and carry myself well, so I don't look it ( I hope! ) but I weigh a staggering 215!! the most I've weighed in the past is 175 ..the weight has gone up so fast...its crazy.....
sooo, I need a diet asap.
I've done Dukan in the past ,and lost beautifully,but regained it quickly.
I love protein,am doing a basic low carb diet(no starch grains,potatoes, etc...no fruits and juice and nosh and cakes-only some sugar free low carb ones) for the longest time without any weight loss.
anyone any suggestions as to which of the three Keto Atkins , or Dukan is the best? easiest. and healthiest for a young women( I'm in my early twenties)etc...
also does anyone know if dukan is healthy or not?
it gotta be one of the 3 cuz carbs makes me have cravings....
thanks loads!

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:27 pm
maybe try OA so younwork with a sponsor and report to someone that can help hold you responsible.
I was you a few years ago. bariatric surgery saved me. would you consider surgery . it involves many lifestyle changes but it's an excellent tool and motivator.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:33 pm
what is dukan?

nechamashifra

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:34 pm
I would suggest doing none of the above. You said it yourself: you lost lots of weight on the Dukan diet but then regained it quickly.
If there was a diet that worked, everyone would be on it and there wouldn't be thousands of different diets and weight loss programs out there (plus new diet trends that keep popping up).
The only thing that works IMHO is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one, one that you'll feel comfortable sustaining. Eat less, move more but also don't deprive yourself to the point of feeling like a doughnut is poison.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:35 pm
I wouldn't do surgery now for a few reasons....I have very good control when I'm off carbs,and can stick 100% to any such diets...

nechamashifra

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wouldn't do surgery now for a few reasons....I have very good control when I'm off carbs,and can stick 100% to any such diets...

Would you able to eat no carbs for the rest of your life? Probably not.

How about if you had some carbs for lunch and then no carbs for the rest of the day? That sounds more do-able for the long run.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:39 pm
but im just not losing..im eating less... weight is sticking !
this is my daily diet(with the occasional sugar free chocolate lkvod shabbos)
I myself find it hard to believe,but I eat :
breakfast: coffee , egg omelette
;lunch:large salad w dressing and tuna /feta
diet cheesecake
snack :another protein like greek yogurt or cold cuts
supper chicken (any ,with no flour or sugar) soup,and veggies(non starchy)
and doing this for months!

nechamashifra

Post Thu, Jan 02 2020, 2:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
but im just not losing..im eating less... weight is sticking !
this is my daily diet(with the occasional sugar free chocolate lkvod shabbos)
I myself find it hard to believe,but I eat :
breakfast: coffee , egg omelette
;lunch:large salad w dressing and tuna /feta
diet cheesecake
snack :another protein like greek yogurt or cold cuts
supper chicken (any ,with no flour or sugar) soup,and veggies(non starchy)
and doing this for months!

From what you're eating, it sounds like you should be losing weight. I'm not a nutritionist or expert so maybe others on here will be more helpful.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:09 am
Ironical to see Dukan in healthy

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 8:17 am
Check your thyroids

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 10:42 am
I recently checked my thyroid levels...they're a bit low ,but doctor said not enough to warrant any symptoms, just a drop lower then usual...

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I recently checked my thyroid levels...they're a bit low ,but doctor said not enough to warrant any symptoms, just a drop lower then usual...

I was eating similar to you and not loosing. I cut oil and bam! I didnt realize how much was in my grilled veggies, marinades, dressings etc...

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Your symptoms sound like low thyroid which makes it very hard to lose weight.
Unfortunately doctors go by blood tests which are not accurate instead of symptoms:

1. WEIGHT GAIN - and inability to lose weight despite dieting

2. Feeling cold

3. Low energy

4. constipation

5. rough dry skin/hair

Try to find a doctor who is more willing to proscribe thyroid medication based on
the SYMPTOMS of inactive thyroid - and your blood test do show low thyroid.

Supplement with iodine, magnesium, selenium, chromium picolinate, berberine,
green tea extract. Drink Coffee with caffeine - appetite suppressant and and stimulates the metabolism.

Also, you are probably have type 2 diabetes or close to it. You may benefit from
being on Metformin - which also helps in losing weight. After you lose the weight,
your type 2 diabetes will probably go away and you can stop the Meds.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:48 pm
so I'm veering off topic but can PCOS be the culprit here? and how do I diagnose it . I have all the symptoms ,weight gain,very irregular periods(longest break was 7 months!) usually I skip at least a month or two..fatigue etc

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:51 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Your symptoms sound like low thyroid which makes it very hard to lose weight.
Unfortunately doctors go by blood tests which are not accurate instead of symptoms:

1. WEIGHT GAIN - and inability to lose weight despite dieting

2. Feeling cold

3. Low energy

4. constipation

5. rough dry skin/hair

Try to find a doctor who is more willing to proscribe thyroid medication based on
the SYMPTOMS of inactive thyroid - and your blood test do show low thyroid.

Supplement with iodine, magnesium, selenium, chromium picolinate, berberine,
green tea extract. Drink Coffee with caffeine - appetite suppressant and and stimulates the metabolism.

Also, you are probably have type 2 diabetes or close to it. You may benefit from
being on Metformin - which also helps in losing weight. After you lose the weight,
your type 2 diabetes will probably go away and you can stop the Meds.

k so it makes sense
but how could I find such a doctor? would any doctor do that based purely on symptoms and no proof?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
k so it makes sense
but how could I find such a doctor? would any doctor do that based purely on symptoms and no proof?

Here is a link to Dr. Mercola (health-nut dr) article on treating hypothyroid.
https://www.mercola.com/articl.....t.htm

Dr. Mercola advocates for Armour which is derived from animal thyroid (usually pig) so one should ask a shayla before using.

An alternative is to use a med called Cytomel together with Synthroid.
Cytomel is an artificial T3 hormone and Synthroid is an artificial T4 hormone.

Dr. Mercola says most doctors only perscribe Synthroid when you need BOTh hormones so both meds should be taken. Start at a low dose and increase gradually.

Ask around to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe based on symptoms and
not JUST by blood tests which are inaccurate. ANY doctor can prescribe - it does
not have to be an endrocologist.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:13 pm
OP, another prescription that is helpful for weight loss is Metformin - which is a
type 2 diabetes medication.

Some NATURAL alternatives to metformin are: Berberine and Chromium Piccolinate. Don't need a prescription for this.

Other supplements that may help weight loss are Magnesium, Vitamin D.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so I'm veering off topic but can PCOS be the culprit here? and how do I diagnose it . I have all the symptoms ,weight gain,very irregular periods(longest break was 7 months!) usually I skip at least a month or two..fatigue etc

Those are all symptoms of low thyroid. I have low thyroid . Lately my levels keep dropping even though my medication dosage keeps increasing and my body is a mess. I’m extremely fatigued, gained 37 lbs, irregular periods, dry brittle hair falling out , dry skin etc. ....I see an endocrinologist for this. And I’ve done Dukan and lost 47 lbs and never got to my goal before gaining back 37. It’s the only diet that worked for me but in the end my emotions of feeling deprived over took me at the end and I threw in the towel.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

BatYisrael

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:16 pm
OP have u tried WWs? I did and lost ton of weight (more than 20 pounds) after last pregnancy. have not been on it for a while now but built great habits and have kept it mostly off. they have really good plans and easy to fit to your lifestyle imo

dankbar

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:47 pm
Pcos comes together with Insulin Resistance which hinders weight loss. It can later turn into Type 2 diabetes too.
Metformin can help for both the sugars, the weight loss + managing the pcos & regulating the cycles.
Low carb diet ( like Atkins) helps for both the weight loss, the IR, the sugars + infertility due to pcos
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise