Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 yr old likes to eat alot... What can I do?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:07 pm
My 6 year old enjoys eating alot. Especially candy,cake, & chocolate. He'll also eat fruits and veg when cut up for him. He knows alot about food - can tell when food tastes especially fresh, what's good .... He's doesn't look very overweight yet but is getting there.

Dh (and me to an extent) started getting very nervous when he eats. Dh really wants to tell ds to stop eating so much bec it will/is making him fat. He hasn't yet bec I keep telling him not to do that - if he needs to say something just tell ds that it's not healthy. I know (at least I heard) that making a big deal to children about what they eat/portion size and ect.... and there being tension when they eat can really create problems with them and food..

Anyways ds is still young and we would like to prevent him from having a problem with food when he gets older. What can we do?

I know that we can try to have more ready to eat fruits and vegs around for him and am looking for more suggestions for healthy things for him to snack on.

Also should we talk to him about it at all or is that a bad idea? What are some things to never say?
Should we limit portions and snacks? How much nosh a week is ok for a 6 yr old? Or should we just focus on the food being healthy for now - with no limits - as his weight is still not terrible yet?

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:19 pm
Get rid of the candy, cake and chocolate.
Provide more fruits and veggies.
Don't say anything.

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:20 pm
Hmmm....

1) Carrot sticks, sliced apples, etc. Are great if he is an emotional eater. They're high in fiber and good nutrients, and he can keep putting them in his mouth without suffering damage.

2) Check that he's getting enough vitamins, water, and macro nutrients as well. Consider if he may have a metabolic imbalance. Aside from tasting good, the carbs you mentioned are easy-to-use energy, and his cravings may mean that his body is trying to compensate for low energy due to other factors.

3) He may also be bored. Can you give him a job/purpose/team that will task him during his down times? Otherwise, eating might become his sport.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:31 pm
We talk about making smart food choices to help us be smart, healthy, strong and FULL. Never about weight.

Ellyn Satter's division of responsibility in feeding: parents decide what to feed (give several options) and when, child decides what to choose from the options and how much. Provide options you are okay with him filling up on. I would include lots of fruits vegetables proteins and plenty plenty plenty of healthy fats.

Healthy fats for satiety! Nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters, eggs, add this to everything. Limit grains and carbs. Sugar, dairy and gluten are the most addictive foods on the planet.

Food addictions can sometimes be a dopamine issue. A gut dysbiosis issue. Parasites or yeast overgrowth can contribute. Vit b1 deficiency can cause appetite dysregulation. Blood sugar issues can cause appetite dysregulation. Can be thyroid related.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 4:08 am
I agree with the above.
We reserve deserts (cake, cookies) for shabbos only. The rest of the time we serve only fruit. We also try to ensure that our kids drink enough water. Juice is limited to shabbos as well.
Is your DS getting enough excerise?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 4:37 am
Telling him to stop and he will be fat and YOU deciding when he should stop isn't healthy for him in the long run.

You need to teach him to be intune to his body. When he wants seconds ask him "Oh, are you STILL hungry?". Many people don't know how to listen to their body and if it's hungry or not. It's healthy to teach children from a young age to listen to when their body tells them it's hungry.

You can also ask him to wait a bit and if he is still hungry take seconds.

Teomima

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:15 am
Don't keep any nosh or junk in the house. Let him snack freely but only provide foods pretty much just as found in nature (fresh fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds) and balanced protein options (chumus and natural nut butter to dip veggie sticks into, cottage cheese, string cheese). Get rid of any juice and sodas. Water and seltzer if he likes sparkling drinks.

You can but your kids those cute little plates that are divided into several small sections (something like this is adorable: https://www.amazon.com/Healthy.....r=8-3). And also very important, make a point to set a good example. Easy balanced and make healthy choices yourself.

But do NOT bring up his weight with him.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:26 am
Op, you got lots of good ideas on this thread. I just want to add one thing- please discuss this with all of your kids, although not in the context of weight of course. It is a parent's responsibility to teach and model healthy eating habits. Kudos to you for making this a priority and recognizing that it needs to be done right.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 9:33 pm
I read through each of your replies - I got alot of good advice! Thanks for taking the time to write, it was so helpful.

tf

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:04 am
All of the above plus.
He may have a nutritional deficiency.
Like:
B-complex
Vitamin D
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics