Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Anyone going to start daf yomi?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:12 am
malki2 wrote:
Hey I’m just curious—

According to most Halachic authorities, women are not supposed/allowed to learn Gemara officially. Are all of you official daf learners from the MO end of the spectrum, or are some of you Chareidi girls doing this clandestinely?

If you want to start a debate on this, please do so on another thread. I'll start one for you to save you the trouble.

grace413

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:15 am
malki2 wrote:
Interesting, but it’s really not mainstream. Especially women being taught by a man, no matter how long his payos are.

Is this really becoming a thing in right-wing circles?

This is how things become mainstream. It starts with a small group and it grows.
Aren't right wing women taught kodesh subjects by men on a regular basis?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:22 am
I don’t understand why ladies would learn gemara which is for men. I barely have time to daven and say tehillim everyday and if I have time to learn I open a Chumash to that weeks parsha. Who has time for the daf? Which is hard to learn and has to be reviewed over and over

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:26 am
gingertop wrote:
I'm hoping to do it with Hadran. I don't know how long I'll last but today's lesson was interesting and manageable.

I felt the same way. Michelle Cohen Farber (the one who gives the Hadran shiur) is amazing. She's clear, she brilliantly anticipates questions and works them into the organization of the shiur, she incorporates all sorts of other information into the lesson.

I've heard her speak before and I'm very impressed.

What happens on Shabbat and Yom Tov? Does she double up the next day? I guess we'll find out.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:28 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
I don’t understand why ladies would learn gemara which is for men. I barely have time to daven and say tehillim everyday and if I have time to learn I open a Chumash to that weeks parsha. Who has time for the daf? Which is hard to learn and has to be reviewed over and over

The nature of learning daf yomi is that you do not do chazarah on it -- well, not until you start a second cycle!. It's a different way of learning

As far as how to make time for it: my resolution has been to devote the time that I would otherwise have devoted to imamother to learning daf yomi instead.

Now let me make good on that resolution.

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:28 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
If you want to start a debate on this, please do so on another thread. I'll start one for you to save you the trouble.

Thank you so much!

gingertop

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:29 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

If you don't have time, don't do it! Definitely there are greater priorities. As JoyInTheMorning said upthread, learning the daf is probably a better use of time than being on imamother and being that I unfortunately spend a lot of time here + social media, if I could follow up on this it would be a lot better than where I'm at now.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:35 am
My husband goes to learn every night and I take care of the house. A wife’s job is to support her husband in learning. Even if I had time without imamother I wouldn’t learn Gemara. It’s not for ladies. You really should ask a shayla if ur allowed to learn gemara

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:36 am
If you are not davening in the morning, do that before the daf, as that is a required mitzvah.

But if you daven and this is in addition, I see nothing wrong with it.

Personally, I want to daven and learn parsha and halacha first.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:44 am
Has anyone stuck with it without listening to podcasts?
I really prefer to just read. It's hard for me to listen when I'm not actually in a shiur.
I attend a weekly gemara shiur for women but we go really slowly.
Honestly, the thought of a daf a day is daunting. But if anyone can recommend a good site I think I may take a stab at it.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:50 am
I didn't read through all four pages of posts, so I don't know if this was said. But there's an app/website called Daf Hachaim. I believe it works better on the computer desktop then on the phone, but it could be that it depends on the type of phone you have. But you can have a 5-minute overview or a 15 minute overview of the daf, and I think it also has a word by word translation.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:53 am
causemommysaid wrote:
It doesnt look like the OP wants to do daf yomi. It looks like she wants a general understanding of each daf.

I actually think this video idea is AMAZING. I spend tons of time on my phone. There is no way I will ever have time to do daf yomi nor do I think its anywhere close to a priority for busy working mother.

But to have a brief understanding and general idea about what is going on in the gemara is fantastic.

I may not be able to give a shiur but after doing this video thing for a while I bet I will be able to make all kind of connections that I never understood before when hearing a shiur.

How many times have you listened to a shiur and the speaker said something like "it says in bla bla bla... that so and so did xyz" and your eyes glazed over and you lost interest? It would be amazing for my brain to be able to hone in and say "wow I know what hes referring to. I heard about that when I was learning about whatever"

Thats call a secret code the men have...
You arent suppose to trespass in that

malki2

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:58 am
honeymoon wrote:
My husband learned masechtas nezikin in depth and I picked up a bit of what it's about when I would hear him learn or if he would repeat to me an interesting shayla that came up. It's a fascinating masechta and very practical too. If I would have the time to commit to learning a specific masechta it would probably be nezikin.

FYI, Nezikin is a Seder, not a Masechta. I know that much!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:48 am
I have a great deal of respect for women who have a head for learning. I can't even take on counting the omer with a bracha without messing it up!

If you're worried about not being able to follow through, just say "bli neder" and enjoy learning what you can. No amount of Torah is ever wasted, when learned in good faith.

(IMHO, women were told not to learn so much, so that men who haven't learned much won't get their egos hurt. We're smarter than most men, so we don't want to scare them off. Then we'd have a real shidduch crisis!)

I suggest you take your gemara into the closet, and read with a flashlight after everyone else has gone to bed. Wink

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:02 am
In case anyone is interested:
https://www.ou.org/blog/torah-.....tive/

Nach Yomi by women for women.
Sounds like a female version of daf yomi.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:12 am
grace413 wrote:
This is how things become mainstream. It starts with a small group and it grows.
Aren't right wing women taught kodesh subjects by men on a regular basis?

It seems gedolim from previous generations felt that women shouldn't be taught gemara. I believe it was compared to teaching them promiscuity. Your suggesting that if enough women go against this psak, it'll become excepted.

Can we say the same thing about women breaking off from accepted halacha today in a small fringe group so that in 50 years it'll grow and be accepted? For example the idea of women covering our hair is really very vague in the torah. Can women stop covering and hope the movement grows?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Just because you might not have time for something doesnt mean other women dont have time for that same thing.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
It seems gedolim from previous generations felt that women shouldn't be taught gemara. I believe it was compared to teaching them promiscuity. Your suggesting that if enough women go against this psak, it'll become excepted.

Can we say the same thing about women breaking off from accepted halacha today in a small fringe group so that in 50 years it'll grow and be accepted? For example the idea of women covering our hair is really very vague in the torah. Can women stop covering and hope the movement grows?

Until Sara schenirer came along, girls also didn’t go to school, but now there are Bais Yaakovs all around the world. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe that thee is anything in the torah that forbids women from learning. We are responsible to live by torah sheb’al peh, just like men. Why should we not know what it says?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Just because you might not have time for something doesnt mean other women dont have time for that same thing.

Or the desire

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My husband goes to learn every night and I take care of the house. A wife’s job is to support her husband in learning. Even if I had time without imamother I wouldn’t learn Gemara. It’s not for ladies. You really should ask a shayla if ur allowed to learn gemara
Allowed????? Im sorry, but what halacha states that a woman is not allowed to learn gemara. A fwe hundred years ago women were not even learning torah and navi.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics