Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Melatonin safe to put kids to sleep?
Previous  1  2

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I didn't say it was a last resort. I consider both safe. I know some people out there are wary of melatonin but somehow gaba doesn't have that same bad rap. How do you find they compare?

I haven’t noticed any side effects with either of them. Melatonin works better for us for falling asleep faster and I use GABA more for behavior.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Jan 04 2020, 11:24 pm
I’ve read it causes fertility issues if taken long term

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 4:45 am
No. You need neuro

fiji

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 5:41 am
It works for one of my kids but not the other. The child it works for is 4 yrs old. I give .5 mg and he is sleeping within 20 minutes from when I give it. I discussed it with a pediatric endocrinologist who said it's fine and hadn't heard anything bad about it. I have noticed a correlation btwn when we give it and my child having nightmares so I try to use it more sparingly.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 6:43 am
Try cutting it to .25 to see if it helps with the nightmares.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 8:52 pm
Why do kids HAVE to be asleep when the parent decides? And be given unnatural substances to achieve that? (yes I know melatonin is natural, but that is when it is produced by the body, not the stuff being given). This is insanity, some kids just need less sleep than others. If it’s inconvenient to the parent then too bad! Why does every little nuisance need to be medicated in today’s world? It boggles the mind...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:33 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Why do kids HAVE to be asleep when the parent decides? And be given unnatural substances to achieve that? (yes I know melatonin is natural, but that is when it is produced by the body, not the stuff being given). This is insanity, some kids just need less sleep than others. If it’s inconvenient to the parent then too bad! Why does every little nuisance need to be medicated in today’s world? It boggles the mind...

Unrelated to melatonin, lots of kids don't get enough sleep. It's all well and good if the child doesn't need much sleep, but lots of kids who do need more sleep, aren't getting it. And they're suffering because of it, no less than an adult with insomnia suffers (in addition to the health risks involved).

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:10 pm
I’ve read it causes fertility issues if taken long term

My dr said it’s bs. Two totally different kind of hormones. I used it for some kids in the past. There are no side effects in the long run. The only issue you may have is that they sometimes wake up in middle of the night.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:49 pm

Could not like this enough!

I would also like to point out that in the late 90's Ginko Baloba was touted as a miracle memory supplement, until it wasn't.

Is the meletonin regulated and have the long term effects been studied?

bnm

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 11:07 pm

when it affects the kid's behavior and ability to learn and the sanity of everyone involved in their lives....

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:35 am

Your kids probably sleep at 7 pm sharp every night. You don’t understand what it’s like for a kid to be up for hours every night in bed unable to fall asleep.

Many kids cannot fall asleep on their own. They are missing the natural melatonin part of their brain. So there is a fill in for it. Many kids with adhd thrive on it. They need it to fall asleep. Otherwise their nights would be disastrous.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:38 am

I agree with you and I avoided it for many years. I have a child who does not sleep. DC would stay up all hours of the night making trouble and I couldn’t get a thing done. Then in the morning dc was tired, couldn’t wake up and it was affecting school. It’s not a matter of deciding when the kid should sleep. Dc6 isn’t going to sleep at 6 or 7. With the melatonin on a good night I’m happy with a 9:00 bedtime. This is a kid who can stay up till 11 or 12 easy without it and then act up all the next day.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics