Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Del
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I could see the rebbe's point if half the class was named Dovi, the other half was Yitzy, and they were all cousins with the same middle and last name. Otherwise, there's no excuse.

I did hear once about BY girls putting their phone numbers on a test instead of their names, because the teachers were grading the popular girls higher than the nerdy girls. "Amazingly", the scores evened out.

Famously in my Alma mater there were 2 cousins, same name, from the same block. So "sara cohen Ave A" didn't distinguish them
One became "Sara cohen triangle" and one "Sara cohen square". There's still a way without numbers! What makes one 1 or 2?

Librarian

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:31 pm
Maybe he is a fan of "HOUSE" Smile

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:36 pm
Librarian wrote:
Maybe he is a fan of "HOUSE" Smile

House was a real role model for how a rebbe of small boys should behave Banging head Banging head

Librarian

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 10:39 pm
For sure!

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:14 am
I was "number 36" in 8th grade.

When I remember it, my heart starts racing because that's how much it bothered me back then.

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 12:38 am
I didnt read through the entire thread but teachers and rabbis do that for confidentially sake if they give their tests out to get marked by someone else. numbers protects the privacy of the student.

salt

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 4:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is exactly as odd as it seems. It's not a misunderstanding, and it's not to protect kids' feelings when announcing test scores. He calls out "numbers 20 - 25 are able to head out to play" or "go to the lunchroom".

I knew of this at the start of the year, but figured it was just until he learns the names. This also seemed to be less of an issue than the overall rigidity and joyless classroom atmosphere my son described. I've reached out to the menahel regarding the bigger things and let this slide. I am now reading the responses and thinking this may be another manifestation of all the unhealthiness and it isn't an innocent isolated issue.
Oy. Not sure how to deal with this all.

Also, at this point the Rebbe knows my son's name, so what is my complaint??

Calling out "numbers 20-25 go out to recess" isn't so bad in my opinion.
It's the same as saying "the two back rows can go out to recess" or last names beginning with "A to G" go out first to recess.
It's just a way of dividing up the class.
When the rebbe sees a boy in the corridor and wants to call him, does he say "number 18 your shoe lace is undone." That would be bad.
But you say the rebbe knows your son's name. So is he just using numbers on tests or to group kids together?
Or is he calling them by number?
There's a difference.

But you say there's an overall unhappy atmosphere in the classroom, so it is probably something that should be fixed.
The number thing alone seems to be just a quirk of the teacher.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:55 am
I would call the teacher directly and tell him your son is upset that he is not being addressed by his name. You the parent understand that it is important to respect the teachers rules but ask the teacher “ if he can please refer to your son by name during the course of the day.” Then finish with a polite “ I really appreciate all of your help and understanding “

I call this the sandwich technique be Polite/ place request/ be polite again. Works well with teachers.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Famously in my Alma mater there were 2 cousins, same name, from the same block. So "sara cohen Ave A" didn't distinguish them
One became "Sara cohen triangle" and one "Sara cohen square". There's still a way without numbers! What makes one 1 or 2?

My bubbe had a cousin with the same name as her. Their father's were brothers. Their seventh grade English teacher couldn't differentiate even though they looked quite different. They both stood up when their name was called.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 11:08 am
Something seems a little off about this story. Yeshiva started over 4 months ago and we're halfway thru the year. This wouldn't last 2 days in my kids school. If the rebbe truly doesn't know the students names, how does he mark tests? Do the students write their assigned numbers on the exams?
How was PTA?

Parent: Hi, I'm the parent of #15. How's he doing?
Rebbe: He's doing ok. He's friends with #8 and #20. I recently switched his seat because I felt #9 was a bad influence on him and put him next to #17 who's a nice kid.

If you'd call the rebbe on the phone are you really saying you'd identify yourself as the parent of #6?

So this is an established rebbe and year after year this goes on? The yeshiva hasn't closed down yet? Very odd. Either way there's power in numbers. If you complain alone it might not help. If all the parents complain (and who wouldn't complain about this!) it'll stop. Not to mention how is it easier to remember #12 as opposed to remembering "chaim"???

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 11:12 am
del
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics