Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How can I keep him busy ?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 4:37 pm
My 5 year old comes home 3:00 eveey day, and the minute he steps into the house he begs me to call his friend over . I dont always feel up to callinb his friend ,since h3 comes here often . My question for u is . How can I keep my ds busy and occupied? Coloring is too boring for him , some times I do bake with him but what can I do with him the days I dont bake ? Also I would love to hear a good tip how I should connect with a 6 year old to keep him happy and constant? I feel sometimes the connection between us need more improvement. I wish I knew how. Whats good variety of occupation for this age ?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:15 pm
My son is the same. Doesn’t have siblings his age so it’s a challenge.

What I’ve found is that doing things with him that I despise makes me feel bitter about the time we spend together.

Find things you both enjoy. I taught him stratego and we play that. Also life. I got him activity books like dot to dot and color by numbers.

I also taught him plus and minus. So that keeps him occupied.

And I do have friends over for him many times.

He also enjoys playing with small LEGO sets.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:58 pm
Play dough, arts and crafts supplies that he can use creatively after you give him some ideas.

Esheschayil18

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:16 pm
Some kids like to build legos or similar toys

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:16 pm
Why can't he go to his friend's house? Does the friend always have to be at yours? Do they live close to you?

momof2+?

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My son is the same. Doesn’t have siblings his age so it’s a challenge.

What I’ve found is that doing things with him that I despise makes me feel bitter about the time we spend together.

Find things you both enjoy. I taught him stratego and we play that. Also life. I got him activity books like dot to dot and color by numbers.

I also taught him plus and minus. So that keeps him occupied.

And I do have friends over for him many times.

He also enjoys playing with small LEGO sets.

I could have written this post. Except that my son is already 7 and we primarily play Mastermind😊.
Activity books are rlly great. if you are desperate and don't mind a bit of a mess, go to the nearest dollar store and buy arts n crafts paraphernalia and an oak tag/ bristol board. Have him decorate it to his hearts content. Cut up straws to 1 inch pieces and string onto pipe cleaners to make jewerly/ glasses/ handcuffs, whatever.
Summer time is much easier because they keep themselves busy outside.
Good luck!!

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:05 pm
Kids love painters tape to create roads on the floor and play with cars..Also try a Magna doodle board.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:48 pm
Mine plays little lego for hours

Wife1

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:59 pm
I do chores around the house and he loves helping me. It makes the boring jobs fun for both of us

SingALong

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 1:12 am
Sometimes I’ll give him an easy project, he also enjoys doing that while he listens to a story tape. Sometimes I read him books on the couch or we play games together. He loves the private attention he gets at that hour before the rest of the kids come home. I’ll also try to save some quick and easy errands for that time so he comes out with me. He loves that too. Sometimes he’s bored but I try to make it fun for him. And I’ll do 1 day an errand, next day game, next day book, next day project etc so it’s not the same thing day after day.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:23 am
That’s the age where the mom starts going a little crazy when the kid still comes home at 3.

Then they come home at 5:00?the next year and you miss all the free time they had...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics