Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Would you pay extra for chicken bones in a net?
Previous  1  2

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No, I don't, but I know someone who is thinking of doing this and they wanted to know if it's worthwhile.

As for straining the soup, I'm only talking bones in a net. Not chicken parts. Most people don't want bones in their bowl of soup.

So, I wouldn't pay too much more for it.
I saw it at Gourmet Glatt and it was a very small package for quite a lot of money. Pass.

At Bingo the netted ones are pretty much the same price as the unnetted ones in Gourmet. And they put a lot into it so I don't need to use more than 1 pack for an 8qt pot. Those I buy.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:41 pm
Though I can't imagine how this is a worthwhile business. Unless the person you know any way sells chicken and this would be a minuscule expense.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 1:04 pm
One of our local kosher stores sells that (bones and a little chicken in a net) and I used to buy it because it was convenient and pretty cheap, but then I started buying wings for soup because I realized it was about the same price and we get the right amount of chicken for us too. It's a little more work to strain and pick out the chicken, so when I'm in a rush I do buy the bone bag.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 1:27 pm
Some of the bones I get come as almost a whole carcass. If I'm going to bag it I need to fits start cutting it so it doesn't take up a huge amount of space.

I am altogether grossed out by raw chicken, especially because we lost the faucet aerator one Pesach & it's a strange kind of faucet for which we can't seem to find a replacement. Thus when I rinse chicken there's raw chicken shpritzing all over. So I am happy to buy the netted, rinse in the pot a bit, & not think about it.

Last week I felt like the soupd smelled awful. It was made from bones that were in my freezer since Pesach (when I got a case which I hardly use bec I keep buying the netted ones). One of my kids said it smelled fine, just more fatty than I am used to. I didn't eat any though.

I do see some netted bags are bottoms & some are tops & I never analyzed which are better. That's interesting what someone wrote above.

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
One of our local kosher stores sells that (bones and a little chicken in a net) and I used to buy it because it was convenient and pretty cheap, but then I started buying wings for soup because I realized it was about the same price and we get the right amount of chicken for us too. It's a little more work to strain and pick out the chicken, so when I'm in a rush I do buy the bone bag.

You can buy the netted bags alone and just put the wings in on your own.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 1:40 pm
asmileaday wrote:
You can buy the netted bags alone and just put the wings in on your own.

Yes, but when I buy the wings I pick out some of the chicken anyway to put back in the soup, so it's the same work--may as well save the bag and use a strainer.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 2:05 am
ra_mom wrote:
No. Because I like to use the backbone with neck attached and the ones that I've seen in the net are leg bones and not as flavorful.

The truth is backbones don't even need a net, because they are one big piece and easy to remove from the soup. No bones ever mix in to anything.

I also don't like that I can't rinse the bones well when they are in a net bag, before I use them for soup (if I don't rinse for chicken soup, it doesn't come out as clear).

Yeah OP the ones they sell here are that type--big pieces. As I said, they stay on the bottom of my pot where I put them.

And I don't strain my soup, and it's very clear. I remove the skin and large pieces of fat from the chicken parts (I either use bones and leg parts, or just the legs) before putting them in the pot, and then cover with water and bring to boil. I skim the foam off the top very well and then add the vegetables and seasonings and lower to simmer. No straining necessary.

nchr

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 7:47 am
1. No
2. N/A
3. N/A

happyone

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 9:29 am
I've never seen that offered where I live, yes, I probably would buy it on occasion.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 05 2020, 12:59 pm
get them free

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:14 pm
It sounds very convenient but no, I would not pay extra. I put all kinds of flotsam and jetsam in soup broth (thank you, former member seraph for showing me the way) and have to strain it anyway.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen