Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
ISO Completely clean books

bbhem5

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:05 am
I've enjoyed several books (both adult and middle school) recommended on this site. Now I need more, for me and my older teen dds. Any recommendations? (Please only completely clean.)
Thanks in advance!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:25 am
Chinuch.org has detailed book lists with one geared to high schoolers
Kosherbooks.org - can filter by age/grade/teens.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:22 pm
It really depends... I preread everything unless someone I trrust read it RECENTLY

bbhem5

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 4:32 pm
Bump
Can anyone reommend any books? (And yes, I'll still do my own research after.)

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:18 pm
It's really hard to think of completely clean books. I think most of them need a bit of censoring for teens.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 5:28 pm
If you want completely clean, you need to stick to jewish books.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:33 pm
It really depends what you consider completely clean. Someone once told me she wouldn't allow her kids to read Ramona Quimby books because she didn't approve of Ramona playing with her neighbor who was a boy. For someone that strict, probably even some Jewish books wouldn't make the cut....

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:42 pm
That reminds me of someone reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to her kids at the dr. office as Green Eggs and Chicken!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:44 pm
I read green eggs and lamb.

lilies

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:47 pm
What happens when the kid turns 5 and reads H-A-M?

small bean

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 6:52 pm
Rodman philbrick has great books and they are completely clean. They are probably intended for younger kids like 12 year olds but I really enjoyed proofing them.

What kind of books do you like to read? I proofread all my kids books.

I do allow certain things to pass if I think the book has such a great value to it. I recently read mango delight fuller. There is some kissing and boy friend stuff but it has a great lessons that imo makes that okay.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:03 pm
lilies wrote:
What happens when the kid turns 5 and reads H-A-M?

I just say, I read it lamb because ham isn't kosher.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 7:07 pm
At least it's better than chicken. I do not like green eggs and chicken, I do not like them Sam-I-Am. Try that.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jan 19 2020, 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

bbhem5

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:23 pm
Okay, so I'm obviously not as strict as some since I think Ramona is just great. (I do have some concerns about my DDs reading some of the adult Jewish novels, but that's a separate issue.)

I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Help' but did not pass it on to my DDs. I was comfortable with 'Wonder' and 'Out of My Mind' and my DDs loved them. I'd be delighted to get more like these (suggestions, please!) but I prefer a bit more sophisticated writing for myself.

I liked some Jodi Picoult books but was uncomfortable with parts of them. I'm a fan of Dorothy Sayers. I've read some wonderful auto/biographies over the years.

Thanks, small bean, for suggesting Rodman Philbrick. My preteen DS and I enjoyed Zane and the Hurricane' and are excited to find more of his books.

Are there no secular adult books that are clean?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:37 pm
Connie Willis
Lynda Cohen Loigman
I loved Bubble World by Carol Snow, though technically I think it is YA. If you ignore the silly cover, it actually is a thought provoking read.

There are also a lot of recently republished books from the 50s and 60s that I personally think are quite clean, like Helen MacInnes and Mary Stewart.

ETA if you like Dorothy Sayers there is a ton of cozy mysteries of that sort/era especially by British authors. A lot have been reprinted recently or are available as e-books.

smss

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 8:41 pm
Can you define "clean"? This is so relative.

There are almost no secular books out there that have NO cursing or any type of male-female physical contact/relationships at all. So I try to stick to ones with only minor...

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 6:38 am
The trail by meika Hashimoto.

Lucky broken girl.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:08 am
Barbara kingsolver is clean if I remember correctly.
Haven't read in a while though! So I may have forgotten

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:43 am
smss wrote:
Can you define "clean"? This is so relative.

There are almost no secular books out there that have NO cursing or any type of male-female physical contact/relationships at all. So I try to stick to ones with only minor...

I think it is relative also but I have been finding a lot of books lately that are completely clean. It has been really surprising me.

For me the lesson of the book is how I judge. If there is no gain from the book then I think my kids shouldn't read it .

Gerbera

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:29 am
If you like Wonder and Out of My Mind, which are both fantastic - I recommend Rules by Cynthia Lord and Fish in a Tree.

I run book clubs for both boys and girls separately - all books are screened and clean reads - we did those 4 books above. If you're interested in some recommendations I'm happy to give but the target age is probably for readers ages 8-12. I've enjoyed many of them though! There are definitely clean reads aimed at higher reading levels - you just have to find them. I'm a librarian and get asked for recommendations like this all the time.

A great resource is Common Sense Media for screening books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room