Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Has anyone identified "Waldo" at the Siyum Hashas today?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

Frumme

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 9:07 am
For anyone saying that it was inappropriate to dress up as Waldo at a siyum--

Just a reminder that Chazal discuss in Pesachim how before Rabbah would begin teaching, he would make a "humorous remark (milsa d’bedichusa)." His students would laugh, and then Rabbah and his students would continue seriously. The act of laughing strengthened the relationship between teacher-student as it made the students warm to their teacher and thus more receptive.

I know that Waldo wasn't a teacher in this situation. However, there's still a lesson here. For many people, a bit of light-heartedness to put one into a positive mood makes one a better kli for Torah. It was cold and crowded at the siyum hashas. I'm sure seeing Waldo made many people laugh and put them into a joyous mood, allowing them a quick reprieve before getting back to learning.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 11:57 am
Can someone please please post a post to a "Where's Waldo?" book?

I never heard of it before and I wanna understand the joke.

flowers12345

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:09 pm
Odelyah wrote:
she could have been engaged already when the filming took place

also I don't think it was live (not sure) but if not it could have been taped months ago, before she even met her chassan, and by now she could be married.

She definitely wasn't married when this was filmed... I know her personally and the name she gave is the name I knew her by in high school Smile

mlc

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:24 pm
Gosh the direction of this thread.

Ok we all know that not everyone has the same sense of humor. If a joke is hurtful, at someone’s expense, or a stereotyping mockery, obviously it should definitely be called out.
But here is a sweet harmless guy who put a smile on so many faces by wearing a clean harmless outfit with a clean family friendly reference. If this isn’t your sense of humor then move on.

Also, do people really have a need to call out the Ugly Sweater recipient again? She was put on the spot and handled it as graciously as she could. And if you really need to be critical, don’t forget that hashem is the one who puts words and reactions into people’s minds .

Bashing fellow Jews really saddens me. We need to come together with love. Live and let live. Obviously people may have different personalities, backgrounds, and viewpoints. But if intentions are good, hard feelings are not fair.

Please let’s show love and just daven for peace - amongst us and for the world at large .

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jan 03 2020, 12:34 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Can someone please please post a post to a "Where's Waldo?" book?

I never heard of it before and I wanna understand the joke.

Etc.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 9:29 pm
Poor Waldo.

I just checked out his Facebook page and saw that he (wearing regular clothing) was verbally attacked and threatened on the subway yesterday. This is happening way too often.

https://www.facebook.com/udontchap

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 12:33 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
This is so false. Why spread vicious slander on a community??? Mad

False? Are you denying that a chayal that walks into meah shearim will get stoned?

Vicious? I definitely think it's vicious to Stone and egg someone who walks through your neighborhood.
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries