Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Childhood vs Early Childhood programs

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 10:53 am
I would like to get certified in both eventually. Some colleges offer program options of either Childhood OR Early Childhood. both can lead to certification in both. but the initial college coursework is different.

If I eventually get certified in both:

Do some jobs specifically require the masters degree to be in early childhood or childhood?

I think I've seen headstart jobs that specifically require early childhood degrees, is that correct?

are there jobs that specifically require childhood degree?

Which coursework is easier to do in college- childhood or early childhood?

Which tests are easier to pass initially for certification- childhood or early childhood?

If you plan to get certified in both, and had the option of either program (different prices and coursework), which option would you choose for coursework?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 1:10 pm
IF all else is equal I'd probably go with early childhood because from what I've seen you're more likely to get approved for jobs above your age range than below. I.e. if you're certified for grades 1-6 they're not going to let you do EI, SEIT, or many preschool positions depending how formal the program is. But if you're certified birth-grade 2 then you're likely to be approved for a job in grade 3 or possibly higher.

However, I personally went for grades 1-6 initially because I am most interested in teaching middle school/Jr high age. Now that I work with younger kids (and enjoy it, mostly) I wonder if more EC coursework would have helped (I took the required 2 courses and the rest was considered overlap with the 1-6 coursework which did include some baby-child development.) But no regrets because older grades are really my passion and I hope to get back there when my lifestyle is ready
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics