Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Post anesthesia side effects. Urgent!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:43 am
My 6 week old baby had 2 tests done under general anesthesia. She's so irritable since I came home. 8 hrs. She was under observation for abt 4 hrs and was doing fine. Now that she's fully up she's neauseous, vomiting more than the usual. Emergency number by radiology told me it's expected. She also had a biopsy-in the hospital they told me she won't have any pain. Now when I called they said of course some pain. Is this all normal? For how long? I want my happy smiley baby back.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:19 am
It’s all relative, but yes it could take a couple of hours for anesthesia effects to wear off & nausea/vomiting is normal (I mean at least by us)
Hugs Hug

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:21 am
Hopefully now that it’s somewhat out of her system she will be able to settle down and beh be back to herself tomorrow morn.

Hope you get good results...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:24 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Hopefully now that it’s somewhat out of her system she will be able to settle down and beh be back to herself tomorrow morn.

Hope you get good results...

She was out of imaging room at around 11. Sent me home at 3. She threw up 2 times quite a bit and once only a drop. I see she's uncomfortable and I'm scared to nurse her I'm afraid it'll make her more neauseous.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She was out of imaging room at around 11. Sent me home at 3. She threw up 2 times quite a bit and once only a drop. I see she's uncomfortable and I'm scared to nurse her I'm afraid it'll make her more neauseous.

Oy poor baby Sad.
Does she want to nurse? Follow her lead & see what makes her more comfortable.
Would you give her a bit of Tylenol in case she’s in pain from the biopsy?
You must be exhausted... hope she settles soon & you can both still get some sleep tonight...

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:32 am
Keep nursing. She may throw up but dehydrated is worse. And some will stay in plus comforting

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 2:26 am
I had emergency surgery this morning and anesthesia took a while to wear off. I still feel a bit lightheaded and woozy. Nausea and vomiting are completely normal side effects after going under. Happens to me all the time. DD also had heart surgery when she was a year old and vomited a lot from anesthesia.
The important thing is to keep her well hydrated. You don’t want to end up back in the ER due to dehydration. (Happened to us.) I would nurse if she wants. Also the nurse told me this morning to drink something other than water as water can heighten the nausea. Refuah Shelaima!

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 12:09 am
Hey op/baby. & magenta, hope you’re both doing better today

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:13 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Hey op/baby. & magenta, hope you’re both doing better today

Tnx for asking. I ended up giving Tylenol for the pain. Baby slept for 2 1/2 hrs after. Then woke up, nursed, , and bh didn't throw up. By the morning was back to old self bh.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:15 am
Emptying your bowels can be an issue the first few days

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 5:18 am
Zeleze wrote:
Emptying your bowels can be an issue the first few days

BH that's not an issue. They did tell me that the more dirty Pampers she'll have the faster it'll leave her system. BH by now she's fine. She was so up and alert today, and barely crying. My gosh, tnx hashem.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 9:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx for asking. I ended up giving Tylenol for the pain. Baby slept for 2 1/2 hrs after. Then woke up, nursed, , and bh didn't throw up. By the morning was back to old self bh.

BH!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics