Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
If you snack on veggies... or have veggie sides.
1  2  Next

thegiver

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 9:58 pm
When do you prep them? I would love a veggie platter on my table every day. For me celery takes time to clean and check. What else can I prep and how many days would it last after cut or opened?

Also when do you prep sides for dinners that are healthy and easy? Some ideas? Like salad takes too much time for me even if its just an israeli salad. Tonight we just had pancakes for dinner and I mourned the lack of vegetables. Which veggies are acceptable to your kids as sides?

Thanks!!

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:04 pm
Baby carrots are good to go! Cut up peppers (or the mini ones . They're so sweet), cut up cucumbers, grape tomatoes.
For veggie sides- 1) B'Gan frozen cauliflower, straight in a pan with oil, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, turmeric, and pop into the oven. 2) B'Gan frozen broccoli, straight onto a pan and pour hot n spicy duck sauce over top, pop into the oven 3)the tiny little potatos (or red potatos) scrubbed clean. Put in pan with oil, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, and bake. 4)green beans- put into boiling water for 3 minutes and then transfer to ice water. Bake for a few min with oil, salt, pepper, garlic cubes

rowo

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:25 pm
Most nights before I go to bed I cut up a bunch of vegetables (usually carrot, cucumber and peppers, sometimes, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, baby corn) that we use for making school lunches the next morning, whatever is left, I pack for my husband and snack on myself.

For dinner I often do some sort of roast vegetables. Or veggies are included in the dish - like stir fry.
But if I’m doing a lazy dinner I’ll just cut up a plate of vegetables. Doesn’t take long.
Or my kids love frozen peas, I just pour boiling water over them before serving.
Corn on the cobb is also easy.
Sometimes my kids get in the mood of making salad - I don’t complain Wink

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:32 pm
I almost always have sliced peppers and cucumbers ready to go with every meal. Sometimes snap peas or baby carrots when the price is right.

agreer

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 10:38 pm
I don't do vegetables that take time to check. But if you actually like celery, it lasts, so check a bunch and cut and slice on Sunday or whenever you have time.

No check veggies I like: cherry tomatoes (wash and eat), peppers (wash and slice, or just bite into it like an apple), cucumbers (takes a sec to cut up), pickles, (no washing nec), and lots of canned veggies - baby corn, green beans, etc

For dinner, I used to always bake a frozen bag of cauliflower or broccoli, but now I make salads occasionally - nothing fancy, based on ready-pac and any of the aforementioned vegetables.

cinnabon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:23 pm
Dr pragers broccoli littles - my kids loved them!
Mini sweet peppers are easy and delicious.
A lot of days I just put out cut up cucumber, peppers, grape tomatoes and baby carrots with some ketchup-mayo and my kids love them to snack on or as a side to supper

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:05 am
Celery is buggy?
I don’t check sweet ( beyond a quick glance) potatoes, squash, zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers and they are all quick and easy to prepare

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:11 am
How are you supposed to check celery?

trixx

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:07 am
Yeah I don't understand checking celery
But for a salad like Israeli you can buy those vegetable choppers. Takes a minute to cut a whole salad.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:27 am
People are careful about leafminers. I'm trying to find official info on how to check.

cbg

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:46 am
Every Thursday night I dice veggies and it lasts until Tuesday
I take the big round deli containers
The secret is I place a folded paper towel on the bottom. Also with tomatoes and cucumbers I remove all the seeds
I make 1 container of each diced, each seperate
Red peppers
Yellow peppers
Orange peppers
Green peppers
Tomato
Cucumber

I also do thinly sliced onion in a baggies sprinkled with salt so that it starts to wilt it’s much milder

Black olives- you just open the can
Baby carrots are ready to go
Baby tomato ready to go
Celery - if you take a slightly damp paper towel and wrap them after they are clean they last.

Sides- roast in the oven. Even fresh string beans I roast them no need to boil first.
Usually it’s frozen veg in a high temp oven

thegiver

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:20 am
[quote="amother [ Ruby ]"]How are you supposed to check celery?[/quote

Look at it under a lamp. You can sometimes see leafminer trails. I also cut off imperfections. ]

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:27 am
I use a veg peeler and peel off all the stringy bits from the celery stick

Rappel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:24 am
Frozen peas or string beans are easy

Mayflower

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:47 am
Another vote for grape tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers... No checking necessary. We also use a LOT of avocados.

For sides, I mainly use veggies that are easy to check/don't require checking, such as zucchini, tomatoes, frozen broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, eggplant, bean sprouts.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 4:32 am
Celery is pretty easy to check. It's a stalk; no deep folds or crevices like lettuce.

A simple salad is not difficult to throw together. Arab lettuce, a handful of seed or nuts, some cubed salty cheese (for a dairy meal), sliced fruit, and a little olive oil with a hint of cider vinegar, black pepper, or dijon.

Or some simple steamed broccoli.

Or roasted vegetables (cubed or sliced, tossed with olive oil and coarse salt and/or some rosemary).

Sliced red bell peppers and cucumbers

Teomima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 5:46 am
I find cutting veggie sticks very quick and easy, faster than making pancakes for sure. While they're cooking, just slice up some fresh veggies. I love trixx's suggestion above that you get one of those hand veggie choppers if you want a super quick simple Israeli salad. Even little kids can help with that one!

My kids are big broccoli eaters. I buy bags of frozen checked broccoli and leave them in the fridge to defrost, then put it out with the meal. Literally no prep necessary.

And of course, like others have said, you can just buy baby carrots, baby cukes, baby peppers, cherry tomatoes, etc, and put them out as is.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 5:48 am
I use my eyes, as my ancestors do. I never use anything artificial. It's not the game

sky

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:14 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
How are you supposed to check celery?

I scrub outside and inside. Sometimes peel.
Check for areas that have thin lines inside. That is sign of bugs internally.
I was once shown what can be found on celery so I can’t not clean it well anymore. For me Celery is now such a pain.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:18 am
Baby carrots and chummus dip
Sliced peppers
Cucumbers (Persian or English are best)
Dakon radish
Canned baby corn or hearts of palm
Roasted frozen broccoli or cauliflower or sugar snap peas or green beans or cauliflower rice. Just add salt, pepper, garlic and Pam.

Roast whatever fresh veggies are in the fridge - zucchini, carrots, peppers, red onion. It’s very quick.

But I know what you mean about suppers sometimes being just the main. I think it happens to many of us.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking