Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you think I was wrong or were they nasty?
Previous  1  2  3

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 9:12 pm
You did nothing wrong. I see people adding to conversations all the time in waiting rooms.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 9:13 pm
Thanks all. It’s nice to hear from others that I didn’t do anything wrong.

I just wanna add that I did start off by saying- I’m sorry for mixing in....

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 9:38 pm
I've done this in the past and I've gotten positive feedback, so I guess it really depends on who it is. You didn't do anything wrong, though.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 10:41 pm
Like another poster said, you win some you lose some, you did nothing wrong, I would say don't let it stop you from doing this again in the future, I think most ppl would be polite about it and appreciate the added member to the conversation.

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 11:50 pm
My reaction is that today, with people talking in public on their phones all the time, there may be some strange culture of "there's a bubble around me, so just pretend you don't hear anything I say".

That may be where they were coming from, not that I think their behavior was correct.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:17 am
They are MEAN girls....women! Hugs.

I am a SEIT and when I heard a mother talk about her child's developmental
issues to a few mothers, I told Mom I was a SEIT, can I give my opinion?
And the mother was very appreciative!

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:22 am
It is not, nor has it ever been socially appropriate to eavesdrop on other people's conversations or mix in.

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
It is not, nor has it ever been socially appropriate to eavesdrop on other people's conversations or mix in.

I don't think it is eavesdropping when you cannot AVOID hearing the conversation. Whether it is alright to mix in...many are ok with it, some not.
But there is no need to be NASTY - that is rude!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:30 am
Oftentimes it’s a tough call. Was in a situation where a woman sitting right behind me was discussing medical details on the phone & you were able to hear how lost she was. I was debating whether I should or shouldn’t say something. In the end I decided to risk it & when she finished the conversation I said to her sorry but couldn’t help overhearing, & I’ve been in this situation before. She was so happy I spoke up & she peppered me with questions on our experience, pros/cons of whatever she needed guidance and were friends now...
But op, you for sure didn’t do anything wrong. We used to have such good shmoozes in the obs office with random people. There’s a certain camaraderie when sitting & just *waiting*

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:40 am
They sound plain nasty. Please don’t doubt yourself op. And stay away from these brats in the future. Even if they had felt you mixed in, the nice thing to do would be to say thank you and then cont their conversation. To embarrass you like that in public is downright mean. And totally uncalled for.

bluebaker

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was sitting in a waiting room. Right near me there were 2 women sitting and shmoozing. I know these women because they live in my neighborhood. And I’ve interacted with one of them once or twice.
I was kind of bored and had nothing to do. I heard them discussing a particular item that they want to purchase and it seemed that they were still undecided if they should purchase it. I’ve recently purchased that item and I am extremely unhappy with it so I figured I’ll chime in and tell them my experience. They gave me such a nasty look for “mixing” in and they turned away from me. I felt so stupid. All I wanted was to be helpful.
Was I wrong?

smh.
No.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette