Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
LA in winter, adult vacation

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 4:38 pm
I've been to LA many times, but since I have family there I have not done tons of touristy attractions. Also, either I've been there as a kid/teen or with kids. Beh I'm going with my husband by ourselves, first time in 12 years!! Bh!
It's only for five days and including visiting family, so don't have loads of time to actually tour. But I want it to be fun and enjoyable too. I would like some ideas please, but I have some criteria...
1 I'm trying to avoid Hollywood/movie things. Btdt and am past it now bh.
2 I hate being on boats and husband hates being in the sky ;-)...
3 husband shouldn't walk tons, feet issues. We do like biking.
4 I will be about five months pregnant iyh. So, there are some things I can't do, as well.
5 husband doesn't like museums

Plan to eat out a lot, go to the beach once, and Grove/farmers market. I was thinking of universal City Walk, because figured the studios wouldn't have very much I can do. I know it's movie based, but in general I've enjoyed it in the past.

Any thoughts? :-)

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:45 pm
You can drive to San Diego. Dh and me loved San Diego zoo and we don’t necessarily like zoos there’s plenty of interesting shows there. We actually went to sequoia for 2 days it was phenomenal. You can always go segueing at the beach. The Grove shopping center. Horseback riding was fun too though not sure you want to do that when your pregnant. Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've been to LA many times, but since I have family there I have not done tons of touristy attractions. Also, either I've been there as a kid/teen or with kids. Beh I'm going with my husband by ourselves, first time in 12 years!! Bh!
It's only for five days and including visiting family, so don't have loads of time to actually tour. But I want it to be fun and enjoyable too. I would like some ideas please, but I have some criteria...
1 I'm trying to avoid Hollywood/movie things. Btdt and am past it now bh.
2 I hate being on boats and husband hates being in the sky ;-)...
3 husband shouldn't walk tons, feet issues. We do like biking.
4 I will be about five months pregnant iyh. So, there are some things I can't do, as well.
5 husband doesn't like museums

Plan to eat out a lot, go to the beach once, and Grove/farmers market. I was thinking of universal City Walk, because figured the studios wouldn't have very much I can do. I know it's movie based, but in general I've enjoyed it in the past.

Any thoughts? :-)

Ugh. HATE Universal City Walk. To me, it's just not a nice area.

1) The beach is great for biking! Go to Santa Monica beach, they have loads of great bikes. While you're there, Santa Monica Pier.

2) If you cut out hikes and museums and walking, well, you're cutting out basically everything. So I have no ideas for you. I love hiking. I love Descanso Gardens, but that's walking. I love ice skating - tons of outdoor ones now.

3) For food, it depends what you're used to. Are you from NY? Fish Grill is great, as is Pat's and Charcoal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Ugh. HATE Universal City Walk. To me, it's just not a nice area.

1) The beach is great for biking! Go to Santa Monica beach, they have loads of great bikes. While you're there, Santa Monica Pier.

2) If you cut out hikes and museums and walking, well, you're cutting out basically everything. So I have no ideas for you. I love hiking. I love Descanso Gardens, but that's walking. I love ice skating - tons of outdoor ones now.

3) For food, it depends what you're used to. Are you from NY? Fish Grill is great, as is Pat's and Charcoal.

Santa Monica/venice beach was definitely a destination we are planning on. Most likely going to bike, but I'll see how I feel. I love hiking too, but between me being out of breath so fast and my husband's feet, thought it was better to avoid that. But it is an option still.
Not from NY, so I'm sure any food place we go to will be a step up! ;-)
Thanks for the ideas... I was hoping for an idea I never thought of it heard of, I guess.

monkeys

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:06 am
I always recommend Pointe Dume in Malibu. It’s absolutely stunning! There’s a fish grill across from the Malibu Pier.
You can go to Oxnard, tour the winery and eat at Tierra Sur. That’s definitely something you can’t do with kids around...

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:08 am
Another vote for the bike ride from Venice to SM. Also check out the Naples Canals, which are stunning to walk around. We enjoyed the Reagan Library, if that's not too museum-like for you. You could also go to Santa Barbara, which is beautiful, and stop in Oxnard for a delicious lunch at Tierra del Sur and check out the winery there as well.

simba

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:23 am
Rodeo Drive and a some Beverly Hills touring
Definitely Oxnard and Tierra Sur restaurant (stop for some outlet shopping at Camarillo)
I don’t like Universal City Walk
Malibu and Fish Grill- yes!!
Go to the Magic Castle one evening - it’s an adults only Magic club. It’s on Franklin Ave Between La Brea and Highland.

Ellie7

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:24 am
My favorite place in LA is the Huntington Library and gardens in Pasadena. It’s about 20-30 minutes from Pico. It doesn’t sound like you’d be that interested in the library and museum but the grounds themselves are amazing. I think you can probably see some of the gardens without too much walking.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:54 pm
Thank you all! I have heard of all of these destinations, but have not visited most and didn't think of them. They are now on my list!
I love botanical gardens and hiking etc and my husband said he's game to do whatever I want, as long as his feet are not acting up. I do think he'd enjoy the winery, though I won't be able to taste anything- is it kosher?

simba

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all! I have heard of all of these destinations, but have not visited most and didn't think of them. They are now on my list!
I love botanical gardens and hiking etc and my husband said he's game to do whatever I want, as long as his feet are not acting up. I do think he'd enjoy the winery, though I won't be able to taste anything- is it kosher?

Sure it’s kosher, it’s the Herzog Winery.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 1:09 pm
simba wrote:
Sure it’s kosher, it’s the Herzog Winery.

Well, then it makes sense it's kosher! :-) Thanks

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 14 2020, 12:10 pm
Update: bh we had a great trip! Thanks for all the recommendations!
This is basically what we did each day:
Huntington garden in Pasadena, brought lunch with; santa Monica/Venice and Malibu beaches plus fish grill for lunch; aquarium of the Pacific in long Beach, brought lunch with.

We have family there so visited in between our outings and ate out for all dinners and a couple breakfasts. I'll update with where we ate after shabbos iyh. I don't remember each restaurant name this second.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics