Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Computer Programmer Info

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 1:55 pm
My DH is looking into different career choices. He doesn't want to go through much schooling because we need the money asap.

How is the job market today for programmers?
What does programming entail?
Is it a 9-5 job?
Is it lucrative? What is salary? Is there room for growth?

What and where for schooling? Any possibilities to learn online or in Lakewood?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 2:05 pm
My dh has a BS and MS in computer engineering and makes about 300k.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 2:22 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
My dh has a BS and MS in computer engineering and makes about 300k.

I think she means taking a local computer programming course in Lakewood through PCS or similar. Not a college degree, but I may be wrong..

On the same note, how much can he expect to earn if he's good at what he does 3 years on the job in Lakewood? (Not commuting)

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 2:45 pm
It really all depends on how good you are and your experience. It's a field where you have to prove yourself and it's less about your degree. It also depends on the technologies you learn. You can use this site to find salaries https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm

(fyi I have a BS/MS degree in Computer Engineering/Computer science with about 10 years experience and make about $130k and I work from home). I had a colleague who is completely self taught, exceptionally bright who makes much more then me because of his talent.)

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 2:58 pm
mustard amother- wow. my dh also has a computer engineering degree but he's not making that much! Do you mind if I ask what your husbands hours are, how long he's been in the field and if you are in NY?

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 7:50 pm
Amother coral-- this is my dream job, to work from home and code. I'm proficient in HTML, CSS, PHP and semi-okay at javascript. What do you languages do you recommend as having work from home potential? (I am mostly self-taught, but did take some classes in an unrelated masters and could take more classes)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:03 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It really all depends on how good you are and your experience. It's a field where you have to prove yourself and it's less about your degree. It also depends on the technologies you learn. You can use this site to find salaries https://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/index.htm

(fyi I have a BS/MS degree in Computer Engineering/Computer science with about 10 years experience and make about $130k and I work from home). I had a colleague who is completely self taught, exceptionally bright who makes much more then me because of his talent.)

Dh took a course, but no degree. He works 40 hours a week, 15 + years experience, and earns a bit more than you do. He is maxed out at his current job. It's hard to find people willing to pay more.

I used to deal with developers whose names were Paul and John. Now its Fatima and Mayank. This is what my dh is competing against.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:05 pm
previous poster are you in the tristate area- when my dh worked in NY he earned more then he does now in Ohio.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 07 2020, 8:49 pm
I’m in nj. Have ba - 1 year from Thomas Edison college remote.
15 yrs experience. I make 95k working 32 hrs from home + full benefits. Based out of Princeton but work in Lakewood.
If I was in the office or willing to switch to management position I’d make more. And willing to jump jobs more. And I’m not in “hot” languages. But I’m not sure how much higher it goes around Lakewood.
I do know several women working in Lakewood offices trained in boot camps or courses who are making very decent money starting out.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:25 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

I do know several women working in Lakewood offices trained in boot camps or courses who are making very decent money starting out.

What do You mean by decent money? Just curious approximate?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:32 am
Interesting.

40 years ago computer programming was the in career for BY girls. Then all the
jobs dried up - went overseas.

Now it seems that computer programming jobs are available in US again.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
What do You mean by decent money? Just curious approximate?

I’m sorry I don’t remember the numbers. But I remember thinking the salaries for 1-5 yrs experience not bad at all Plus they had Yom Tov paid and off. Not full time hours that worked with Lakewood life. Great technology. Continuing education. Top technology and great experience.
Years ago I interviewed at a frum company and it was a joke. I recently spoke to someone working at that same company today and it’s a great job.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 7:46 am
Here are some numbers from frum female coders (not nessarily Lakewood). There is a very broad range.

3-5 years full time frum company - 30k-120k (those with ba made more then this who went to boot camp)

3-5 yrs part time frum company - 30-70k

10 yrs minimum is 90k for both full and part time in frum offices.

Ppl working in secular offices did make more.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 10:54 am
amother Salmon
I personally mostly code in Java. I work on the back end and do virtually no front end work (I can't stand front end work although I've done some javascript when I need to.)
Here is a good site (geared towards working women) to look for remote jobs not only limited to technology https://powertofly.com/jobs/?location=Remote

LinkedIn as well as the website Glassdoor I mentioned in a previous post also has a way to search for remote jobs only. You can see from the job listings what languages are common.

I thank Hashem daily for my job. I have so much flexibility and the pay and benefits are great. Being a stay at home isn't an option for me but if I do have to work this is the best job to have.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 11:22 am
30k for programming?? Might as well be a cashier. If you're getting that amount you are being grossly underpaid.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:33 pm
hodeez wrote:
30k for programming?? Might as well be a cashier. If you're getting that amount you are being grossly underpaid.

What I’m guessing is it’s someone self taught or took a course and getting experience to compensate instead of going to school. No tuition and helps on a resume.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
previous poster are you in the tristate area- when my dh worked in NY he earned more then he does now in Ohio.

Nyc

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:55 pm
I'm deseparetly looking for a career change, can someone advise what it entails to do coding? Can it be self taught?

I'm currently on maternity leave and have some extra time wondering if its something I can do?

Not sure if there are job opportunities as I live oot and would only work for Jewish people as would need time off for yt etc... Can you be self employed?

Would love to get feedback from the experienced coders....
Thank you!

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
I'm deseparetly looking for a career change, can someone advise what it entails to do coding? Can it be self taught?

I'm currently on maternity leave and have some extra time wondering if its something I can do?

Not sure if there are job opportunities as I live oot and would only work for Jewish people as would need time off for yt etc... Can you be self employed?

Would love to get feedback from the experienced coders....
Thank you!

I’ve only worked for none Jewish companies. I have paid time off and they have always been willing to work with me.
You can try out a website like code academy to see if it is something you would enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics