Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working for family members

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 12:21 am
I was just offered a job position by a cousin of mine. There are a lot of pros and cons both ways but at this point I think the pros outweigh the cons. My main concern is working for a family member. I know a lot of people that won’t hire family to work for them. What if he needs to fire me for some reason? Won’t that be very awkward for both of us? (Not that I’m expecting him to need to fire me, he really wants me for the job and trusts that I’ll be good at it.) also I feel like he’d be more lenient with me in terms of taking days off (like of kids are sick) than any other boss as he is a family member and I discussed it with him already. He is not nervous at all hiring a member of the family but I am a little bit. Anyone here work for a family member? How’d it work out for you?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:06 am
I recently started working for my sibling doing childcare. It's different from a "regular" job but I was still concerned about my sibling technically being my boss. But I voiced my concerns frankly and they had no issue with it. I was also up front about my need to be available for my own children, and my availabilities based on my own family's needs, and my sibling was very receptive. So far it's working really well.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:08 am
cousin might be far enough to only have advantages

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 3:31 am
As long as you clearly state your need to be flexible and don't just assume "oh it's my cousin, of course he will let me leave early for XYZ" then it should be fine.
I work for family but I literally only took the job because of flexibility. BH it's been a few years and it's working out great.

happyone

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 4:47 am
Did you ever hear the Yiddish line, "Mit Mishpucha est men kugel, un nisht fun der zelbe teller."
"With family stick to eating Kugel, and not from the same plate."
Many companies have a strict policy not to employ any family members, and for good reason. Family is hard to fire, and to be fired. There is more advantage taking, less professionalism etc.
Personally, I wouldnt, but if both feel comfortable, make sure you iron out any concerns openly prior to starting.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 5:30 am
When my brother interned at my dad's office he had to work in a different department from my dad.

My mom is in charge of shift work and will it put family on the same shift.

Is there another person at boss level that is not your relative? Someone who can meditate/be present if an issue were to come up that you didn't anticipate bc it's family?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 5:32 am
I work for my mother Very Happy

Been working for her for about 8-9 years. Ask me anything Very Happy

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 08 2020, 9:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just offered a job position by a cousin of mine. There are a lot of pros and cons both ways but at this point I think the pros outweigh the cons. My main concern is working for a family member. I know a lot of people that won’t hire family to work for them. What if he needs to fire me for some reason? Won’t that be very awkward for both of us? (Not that I’m expecting him to need to fire me, he really wants me for the job and trusts that I’ll be good at it.) also I feel like he’d be more lenient with me in terms of taking days off (like of kids are sick) than any other boss as he is a family member and I discussed it with him already. He is not nervous at all hiring a member of the family but I am a little bit. Anyone here work for a family member? How’d it work out for you?

I wouldn't recommend it.
BH we are on good terms now, but let's just say, it didn't end that way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics